Tricky CR Assumption

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members

Tricky CR Assumption

by hja379 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:09 pm
Research shows that adolescents who play video games on a regular basis are three times as likely to develop carpal tunnel syndrome as are adolescents who do not play video games. Federal legislation that prohibits the sale of video games to minors would help curb this painful wrist condition among adolescents.
The doctor's conclusion depends on which of the following assumptions?

A]The majority of federal legislators would vote for a bill that prohibits the sale of video games to minors.
B]Not all adolescents who play video games on a regular basis suffer from carpal tunnel syndrome.
C]Playing video games is the only way an adolescent can develop carpal tunnel syndrome.
D]Most parents would refuse to purchase video games for their adolescent children.
E]The regular playing of video games by adolescents does not produce such beneficial effects as better hand-eye coordination and improved reaction time.

OA D

https://www.gmatpill.com/practice-questi ... -question/
Last edited by hja379 on Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by Target2009 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:54 pm
IMO - D
Regards
Abhishek
------------------------------
MasterGmat Student

Legendary Member
GMAT Score:730

by rohu27 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:16 pm

Followed by:2 members

by hja379 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:35 pm
I've posted the link to the official explanation.

Legendary Member
Followed by:7 members

by GMATMadeEasy » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:26 am
i am not satisfied with the explanation.
C should be the answer.
expert please..

Followed by:6 members

by manpsingh87 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:45 am
hja379 wrote:Research shows that adolescents who play video games on a regular basis are three times as likely to develop carpal tunnel syndrome as are adolescents who do not play video games. Federal legislation that prohibits the sale of video games to minors would help curb this painful wrist condition among adolescents.
The doctor's conclusion depends on which of the following assumptions?

A]The majority of federal legislators would vote for a bill that prohibits the sale of video games to minors.
B]Not all adolescents who play video games on a regular basis suffer from carpal tunnel syndrome.
C]Playing video games is the only way an adolescent can develop carpal tunnel syndrome.
D]Most parents would refuse to purchase video games for their adolescent children.
E]The regular playing of video games by adolescents does not produce such beneficial effects as better hand-eye coordination and improved reaction time.

OA D

https://www.gmatpill.com/practice-questi ... -question/
I'm not an expert but i will try to answer your question as per intellectual ability, see as per the question "adolescents who play video games on a regular basis are three times as likely to develop carpal tunnel syndrome as are adolescents who do not play video games" lets just try to understand it in a mathematical way.. suppose there are two children a and b, a plays video game whereas b doesn't. so therefore as per the given stimulus chance of getting carpal tunnel syndrome is 75% whereas that of b is 25%, which means b who is not playing video game can still have the carpal tunnel syndrome!! since it is stated in the question so it cannot be an assumption i hope that helps..!!!

Followed by:6 members

by manpsingh87 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:49 am
GMATMadeEasy wrote:i am not satisfied with the explanation.
C should be the answer.
expert please..
I'm not an expert but i will try to answer your question as per my intellectual ability, see as per the question "adolescents who play video games on a regular basis are three times as likely to develop carpal tunnel syndrome as are adolescents who do not play video games" lets just try to understand it in a mathematical way.. suppose there are two children a and b, a plays video game whereas b doesn't. so therefore as per the given stimulus chance of getting carpal tunnel syndrome is 75% for a whereas for b it is 25%, which means b who is not playing video game can still have the carpal tunnel syndrome!! since it is stated in the question so it cannot be an assumption i hope it helps..!!!

GMAT Score:750

by fitzgerald23 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:09 am
1. Research shows kids who play video games are more likely to develop a problem
2. Prohibiting the sale of games to the kids will alleviate the problem

What you are looking to do is find a consideration that point 2 must have in order to be true.

A. Incorrect. The author is not concerned with the law passing. He is saying if it was passed this would be the result.

B. Incorrect. This has nothing to do with his argument. He is concerned with those who do have it, which is more frequent in video gamers.

C. Incorrect. He never says this or assumes it.

D. Correct. He says the law will ban minors from buying games. In order for the law to be effective the kids must not be able to get the games by other means. If the parents still buy the games for the kids then the law will not help any problems.

E. Incorrect. Nothing to do with the argument. He is just interested in carpal tunnel

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by gtr02 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:38 pm
hmmm this question is almost identical to a mgmat cr cat question