Crushed by the GMAT 590 (42Q 32V)

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Crushed by the GMAT 590 (42Q 32V)

by SMG23 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:11 am
Hi All-

Congrats to those that crushed it!

I took the GMAT last year and scored a 580 but 83% V and 32% Q. I took the Veritas Quant course and spent the last three months hammering Quant. I just retook the test and scored 590 (42Q 32V). Despite a marked improvement in Quant my Verbal dropped way off.

A Q42 and V38 would out me in the 650-670 range which is my goal. Do schools look at both exams or do I need to retake?

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by iridebikes » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:33 am
Not 100% if you should retake but I have a similar problem. I scored a 17 quant and 41 verbal, netting me a 510. I have since taught myself all of the math fundamentals and have only achieved a 600 overal (43 quant, 30 verbal). I dropped 10 points! Anyway here is my question. Did you have a hard time focusing on the reading comprehension/critical reasoning and did it take you awhile to draw conclusions? If you're a recent college graduate you should be capable of a pretty good verbal score because you have been reading a ton of material and have also been accustomed to correct sentence structure because well, you only read well edited textbooks. Congrats on the quant improvement, I guarantee if you relax for the next month and just read more (the economist, wall street journal) I bet your score goes up and you achieve the 650+ you're capable of. You haven't gotten any "dumber," since your first test and I can't imagine the first score being luck, just relax and read.