by pradeepkaushal9518 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:05 am
i am confused between [spoiler]A/C[/spoiler]

i will go with C

as it is a process not experimental evidence
A SMALL TOWN GUY

Legendary Member
Followed by:10 members

by Night reader » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:26 am
ok, it's B: start from "Act now." magazine implies an example made and calls for action. If no action is followed then a belief of brains being physical organ and their functioning well after the exercise could possibly be not credited by a reader of the advertisement.

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members

by mundasingh123 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:59 am
Night reader wrote:ok, it's B: start from "Act now." magazine implies an example made and calls for action. If no action is followed then a belief of brains being physical organ and their functioning well after the exercise could possibly be not credited by a reader of the advertisement.
Night Reader First time i saw u getting a CR Wrong
I Seek Explanations Not Answers

Legendary Member

by Night reader » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:08 am
mundasingh123 wrote:
Night reader wrote:ok, it's B: start from "Act now." magazine implies an example made and calls for action. If no action is followed then a belief of brains being physical organ and their functioning well after the exercise could possibly be not credited by a reader of the advertisement.
Night Reader First time i saw u getting a CR Wrong
why it says different? what's OA? Answer C also fits here... may be B is extreme choice, and it's not correct
Last edited by Night reader on Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by pradeepkaushal9518 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:17 am
mundasingh wants explanation not answers
A SMALL TOWN GUY

Legendary Member

by mundasingh123 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:30 am
OA is E

Legendary Member

by Night reader » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:38 am
mundasingh123 wrote:OA is E
improvement in muscle tone vs. organ's analogy vs. brains
heh

muscle tone is a condition of the organ, not the organ itself
brain is an organ, brain vs. muscle tone is like water vs. evaporation

I need some expert's guidance through this, as GMAT CR is not always general knowledge we have about the world. Good question at the eve of my exam :) I should have not followed my knowledge about organs and muscle tones, but I had to follow only the argument.

Legendary Member

by mundasingh123 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:53 am
OFFICIAL KAPLAN EXPL.
(E)
Here we get another advertisement, and it's easy to pick out the main point- "Subscribe to
this magazine." The rest of the ad tells us why we should subscribe: The brain is a physical
organ and since physical organs benefit from exercise, it follows that the brain will benefit
from exercise. This magazine will exercise the brain, therefore this magazine will benefit
the brain. What's the method? The ad compares the brain and muscles in the sense that they
are both physical organs, and then reasons that since exercise helps one (muscles) it will
also help the other (the brain). With all the comparisons being made here, the word
"similar" in choice (E) should jump out. The ad implies that brains and muscles must be
similar in one respect (they will both benefit from exercise) because they are similar in
another (they are both physical organs).
(A) What experimental evidence?
(B) The ad may begin rather brusquely by stating that "anyone who exercise knows..." but
it certainly does not ridicule anyone, so choice (B) will not do.
(C) The ad never explains how the magazine "exercises your brain"- it simply employs
an analogy to attempt to demonstrate that it does. The "process" itself is never explained.
(D) Most ads, this one included, don't offer a careful analysis of anything. They offer
soundbites, and sometimes, as in this case, a comparison. When we look closely, we see that
there is no "careful analysis."
"¢ The LSAT uses words very precisely. A "careful analysis" (E) is just that: something
a scientist, scholar, or researcher might provide, not what we get in this light sales
pitch. "Experimental evidence" in (A) is simply off the mark too. Put each choices
through its paces, and if what it offers is not in the stimulus, cross it off.

Legendary Member

by Night reader » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:03 am
to be frank, I kept an eye on E when reading the A-E. Again, got confused only by my prior knowledge. I read Kaplan's explanation - yes, they also imply reading passage. Sometimes additional knowledge (of anatomy, physiology) hurts :)
mundasingh123 wrote:
OFFICIAL KAPLAN EXPL.
(E)
Here we get another advertisement, and it's easy to pick out the main point- "Subscribe to
this magazine." The rest of the ad tells us why we should subscribe: The brain is a physical
organ and since physical organs benefit from exercise, it follows that the brain will benefit
from exercise. This magazine will exercise the brain, therefore this magazine will benefit
the brain. What's the method? The ad compares the brain and muscles in the sense that they
are both physical organs, and then reasons that since exercise helps one (muscles) it will
also help the other (the brain). With all the comparisons being made here, the word
"similar" in choice (E) should jump out. The ad implies that brains and muscles must be
similar in one respect (they will both benefit from exercise) because they are similar in
another (they are both physical organs).
(A) What experimental evidence?
(B) The ad may begin rather brusquely by stating that "anyone who exercise knows..." but
it certainly does not ridicule anyone, so choice (B) will not do.
(C) The ad never explains how the magazine "exercises your brain"- it simply employs
an analogy to attempt to demonstrate that it does. The "process" itself is never explained.
(D) Most ads, this one included, don't offer a careful analysis of anything. They offer
soundbites, and sometimes, as in this case, a comparison. When we look closely, we see that
there is no "careful analysis."
"¢ The LSAT uses words very precisely. A "careful analysis" (E) is just that: something
a scientist, scholar, or researcher might provide, not what we get in this light sales
pitch. "Experimental evidence" in (A) is simply off the mark too. Put each choices
through its paces, and if what it offers is not in the stimulus, cross it off.