education offered by junior colleges

This topic has expert replies
Community Manager
Followed by:27 members
GMAT Score:670

education offered by junior colleges

by arora007 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:00 am
The education offered by junior colleges just after the Second World War had a tremendous practical effect on family-run businesses throughout the country. After learning new methods of marketing, finance, and accounting, the sons and daughters of merchants returned home, often to increase significantly the size of the family's enterprise or in other ways, to maximize the profits.

Which of the following statements is best supported by the information above?

A) The junior colleges principally emphasized methods of increasing the size of small businesses.
B) The business methods taught in the junior colleges were already widespread before the second World War.
C) The business curricula at junior colleges did not include theoretical principles of management.
D) Without the influence of junior colleges, many family-run businesses would have been abandoned as unprofitable.
E) Business methods in many post-war family-run businesses changed significantly as a result of the junior colleges.

[spoiler]

The OA is E, now i cannot get around it... how? D and E look equally close.[/spoiler]
https://www.skiponemeal.org/
https://twitter.com/skiponemeal
Few things are impossible to diligence & skill.Great works are performed not by strength,but by perseverance

pm me if you find junk/spam/abusive language, Lets keep our community clean!!

Legendary Member
Followed by:90 members

by Tani » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:38 am
Our stimulus tells us the junior college courses had an effect. To have an effect, they must have been used. Therefore the answer is E.

Try the denial test. If business methods didn't change as a result of courses, then the courses had no effect. if denying an assumption kills the argument then the assumption was necessary.
Tani Wolff

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:6 members

by manpsingh87 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:04 am
arora007 wrote:The education offered by junior colleges just after the Second World War had a tremendous practical effect on family-run businesses throughout the country. After learning new methods of marketing, finance, and accounting, the sons and daughters of merchants returned home, often to increase significantly the size of the family's enterprise or in other ways, to maximize the profits.

Which of the following statements is best supported by the information above?

A) The junior colleges principally emphasized methods of increasing the size of small businesses.
B) The business methods taught in the junior colleges were already widespread before the second World War.
C) The business curricula at junior colleges did not include theoretical principles of management.
D) Without the influence of junior colleges, many family-run businesses would have been abandoned as unprofitable.
E) Business methods in many post-war family-run businesses changed significantly as a result of the junior colleges.

[spoiler]

The OA is E, now i cannot get around it... how? D and E look equally close.[/spoiler]
IMO E is the best answer, explanation option a) can be negated as it only talks about small business, i mean the teaching methodology might also help the big family run businesses. similarly we can negate option B and C, lets see at option D it says many family - run businesses would have been abandoned as unprofitable without the influence of junior see this is a far- stretch conclusion, i mean no where in the stimulus it has been mentioned that family run businesses are going through tough times, they might still be survive though not making large profits.!!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by hja379 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:20 am
Tani Wolff - Kaplan wrote:Our stimulus tells us the junior college courses had an effect. To have an effect, they must have been used. Therefore the answer is E.

Try the denial test. If business methods didn't change as a result of courses, then the courses had no effect. if denying an assumption kills the argument then the assumption was necessary.
I agree with @Tani.
Choice D: Uses extreme words. As @manpsingh87 says, no one knows whether or not they would have been unprofitable. Without the junior colleges, many businesses might have just been breaking even.
Choice E: A very acceptable one. In other words, rephrases the conclusion. Both the language, meaning and intent work in favor of the conclusion.

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members

by mundasingh123 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:54 am
Tani Wolff - Kaplan wrote:Our stimulus tells us the junior college courses had an effect. To have an effect, they must have been used. Therefore the answer is E.

But Tani this is an Inference question and not an Assumption Question
I Seek Explanations Not Answers

Legendary Member

by Tani » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:06 am
The answer still has to follow logically from the stimulus. If students don't change their actions based on the courses, the courses cannot have an effect.
Tani Wolff

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members

by mundasingh123 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:27 am
Tani Wolff - Kaplan wrote:The answer still has to follow logically from the stimulus. If students don't change their actions based on the courses, the courses cannot have an effect.
So Tani can we employ this method for Inferences in General .I can see u need to take the conclusion into consideration for this.What if the Stimulus is Just a Bunch of Facts.
I Seek Explanations Not Answers

Legendary Member

by Tani » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:50 am
Generally, when the stimulus is a bunch of facts, you are looking for a conclusion that can be validly drawn from those facts. Always keep the basic equation of arguments in mind when you are dealing with LSAT
Evidence + assumptions = conclusion
Tani Wolff