2nd try - 640 - Help me get to a 700!!!

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

2nd try - 640 - Help me get to a 700!!!

by jeorryb » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:06 am
Quant - 39
Verbal - 39

I have been out of undergrad for 5 years and graduated with a BS in Economics. This was my second attempt in the past 3 months. I have been studying off and on for the past 6 months. I started off by using the Kaplan quant and verbal guides as a refresher to the concepts. I then moved on to the OG 12. I tried doing all of the problems for each section but concentrated mostly on the problems in the back of each section because I read that those were usually the most difficult. My first attempt was in early november, I scored a 620. I did not have enough time in the quant section so I had to guess on the last 7-10 questions. The second time my timing was better but not great, I still had to guess on the last 5 questions because I only had 1 minute left. Does anyone have any advice on getting better at timing for the quant section. I also used the MGMAT online tests for study material prior too my second attempt. I usually put in about and 1 hour of study time every weekday after work and 4 hours both on Sat and Sun. I can't say enough about the MGMAT guides and also the explanation guide they offer for the quant section for the OG 12. Help me get to 700! My ultimate goal is the Goizueta evening program at Emory.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Adi_Pat » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:10 am
Speed seems to be the issue ( and on the GMAT speed and stamina are correlated )...based on what you've said...I think you should focus on 'timed' full length tests...the 'GMAT Prep' tests are especially relevant for such practice...

you seem like your comfortable with the content but havent ironed out the speed and stamina bit...so focus on that...if you can start scoring 700+ consistently on full length tests - especially on the GMAT Prep ( and assuming that it isnt a practice test that you've taken before i.e. with a lot of similar questions )..I would think that you're ready for another crack at the real test...

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:700

by InkyBinky » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:29 pm
Hey jeorryb. I was actually recently admitted into the Goizueta evening program! I think with a 640 you stand a decent chance as long as the rest of your profile is pretty solid because 640 is their median score.

As far as timing goes, I recommend that you take a lot of practice tests (beginning to end) and do lots of practice problems while focusing on finishing each within two minutes. I went through the OG12 and marked my time next to each problem and kept track of moving averages in Excel to make sure that I was operating at a good pace. Eventually, I developed a rhythm and, on the real thing, I managed to finish with less than a minute to spare without feeling overly rushed. However, I really underperformed on quant compared to my practice tests (44 vs. a typical range of 48-50), so maybe I'm not the one to ask!

Good luck on your application. And don't put it off for too long if you're looking to start this fall because deadlines are fast-approaching! The scholarship deadline is just two weeks away.