Followed by:10 members
GMAT Score:700

Sterngthen---Vitaplus

by prachich1987 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:04 pm
Please help me with the question no. 29
[spoiler]Why is C wrong?
[/spoiler]
https://books.google.co.in/books?id=wOcv ... ic&f=false
Last edited by prachich1987 on Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks!
Prachi

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members

by mundasingh123 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:28 am
Didnt Check OA . C . Since I couldnt get the last 2 Crs that u posted right .I will give my Expln later
I Seek Explanations Not Answers

Legendary Member

by prachich1987 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:31 am
mundasingh123 wrote:Didnt Check OA . C . Since I couldnt get the last 2 Crs that u posted right .I will give my Expln later
??? Is your answer C?
I have already stated in the above post that C is wrong.
Thanks!
Prachi

Legendary Member

by mundasingh123 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:00 am
I know now that c is wrong but i wanted to answer without any bias

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:710

by gmatmachoman » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:12 am
B can be a strengthener!!

C cannot be a strengthener becox it just talks about "alertness". But the Vitaplus does infact makes the user more energetic & more alertful.

Here in C what if the users are "already" more energetic than the national average?? What if the "more energy" induces "more alertness" on the users?? Now that u can see hidden points in C can "tacitly" weaken the stated cause.

Whereas B , it talks more about the selection of the users. It just says, there is no BIAS in the selection of users.
Going forward, it adds that the Vitaplus is NOT served for free.

B is a very subtle strengthener. C is NOT!!

Legendary Member

by prachich1987 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:27 am
gmatmachoman wrote:B can be a strengthener!!

C cannot be a strengthener becox it just talks about "alertness". But the Vitaplus does infact makes the user more energetic & more alertful.

Here in C what if the users are "already" more energetic than the national average?? What if the "more energy" induces "more alertness" on the users?? Now that u can see hidden points in C can "tacitly" weaken the stated cause.

Whereas B , it talks more about the selection of the users. It just says, there is no BIAS in the selection of users.
Going forward, it adds that the Vitaplus is NOT served for free.

B is a very subtle strengthener. C is NOT!!
B is clearly out.May be only "true believers" are willing to pay for the cost of the capsules.
Thanks!
Prachi

Legendary Member

by mundasingh123 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:48 am

Hi , I have pasted the question snip in 2 parts because of size limitations. The First Part can only show upto the First 3 lines of the Last Option.The Second Snap shows the Last 2 lines

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:36 pm
yeah, this is a horrible question.
i looked up the source on the american version of google books, and checked out the answer key -- and, oh my sweet Lord, these people have no idea how strengthening/weakening questions work.

for instance, choice (c) is an obvious strengthener -- we don't actually know that the levels have increased without this additional information.
...but the answer key tries to eliminate that choice on the grounds that "it is not sufficient to show that vita-plus caused any differences". this is quite disturbing -- it shows that the authors of this book literally don't understand how this type of question is supposed to work! "strengthen" answers are practically never sufficient to show things, and they generally aren't strong enough to prove that something is true; astonishingly, it appears that the authors of this book don't know this.

in reality, (c) and (e) are obvious strengtheners.

also, you should run away from this book as fast as you can, since it's clear that the authors don't sufficiently understand what they're supposed to be doing.
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:710

by gmatmachoman » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:13 pm
Fully agreed Ron!!

Legendary Member

by mundasingh123 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:33 am
lunarpower wrote:yeah, this is a horrible question.
i looked up the source on the american version of google books, and checked out the answer key -- and, oh my sweet Lord, these people have no idea how strengthening/weakening questions work.

for instance, choice (c) is an obvious strengthener -- we don't actually know that the levels have increased without this additional information.
...but the answer key tries to eliminate that choice on the grounds that "it is not sufficient to show that vita-plus caused any differences". this is quite disturbing -- it shows that the authors of this book literally don't understand how this type of question is supposed to work! "strengthen" answers are practically never sufficient to show things, and they generally aren't strong enough to prove that something is true; astonishingly, it appears that the authors of this book don't know this.

in reality, (c) and (e) are obvious strengtheners.

also, you should run away from this book as fast as you can, since it's clear that the authors don't sufficiently understand what they're supposed to be doing.
Thanks Ron for the help . U have really saved us from racking our brains in vain.