LSAT--- dry eyes

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:10 members
GMAT Score:700

LSAT--- dry eyes

by prachich1987 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:48 pm
Pharmacists recently conducted a study with respect to the reasons their customers purchased eye drops to soothe eye dryness.Dry eyes were more frequently experienced by customers who wore contact lenses than by customers who did not wear contact lenses.The pharmacist concluded that wearing contact lenses, by itself ,can cause wearers to have dry eyes.

Which one of the following if true most seriously undermines pharmacist's conclusion?

A) An inherited condition can cause both weak eyesight and dry eyes.
B) Physical exertion causes dry eyes in many people who wear contact lenses.
C) Most people who have dry eyes do not wear contact lenses.
D) Most people who wear contact lenses do not have dry eyes.
E) Both weak vision and dry eyes cause headache.

OA : after some discussion
Thanks!
Prachi

Legendary Member
Followed by:15 members

by AIM GMAT » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:13 pm
I am tied up with two options A and B .

IMO A

To weaken the argument we need to find out a reason apart from contact lenses which causes dry eyes .

Option B is very tempting as it says physical extension causes dry eyes in people who wear contact lenses , so indirectly dryness is caused by contact lenses used for long duration .. right !!!

Option A states that an inherent condition is causing weak eye sight and dry eyes and wearing contact lenses is not the cause for it .Inherent condition causes weak eye sight , thus people wear contacts and dryness was there existing already .

Hope that is clear .
Thanks & Regards,
AIM GMAT

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members

by mundasingh123 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:20 am
The Stimulas talks about people who wear contact lens and people who do not wear contact lens .It does not talk about people who have weak eyesight.
Contact Lens wearers can included people who just wear lenses for cosmetic reasons ie Coloured but not visiblity tinted .
Contact lens wearers exclude Spectacled Persons.
So its not a question of people with Weak Eyesight.
D is tempting but the contact lens wearers could be doing something to prevent the Dryness
B gives an additional reason for the dryness and does not put the blame solely on the Contact Lens,B is the Correct Answer
I Seek Explanations Not Answers

Legendary Member

by mundasingh123 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:53 am
Whats the OA ?

Legendary Member
Followed by:10 members
GMAT Score:700

by prachich1987 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:10 am
The OA is A.
Thanks!
Prachi

Legendary Member

by mundasingh123 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:23 am
prachich1987 wrote:The OA is A.
Damn

Legendary Member

by mundasingh123 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:44 am
https://books.google.co.in/books?id=wOcv ... &q&f=false

I dont think this is an Official LSAT Question .Did U get this from Master the LSAT ebook

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members
GMAT Score:730

by rohu27 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:02 am
prachich1987 wrote:Pharmacists recently conducted a study with respect to the reasons their customers purchased eye drops to soothe eye dryness.Dry eyes were more frequently experienced by customers who wore contact lenses than by customers who did not wear contact lenses.The pharmacist concluded that wearing contact lenses, by itself ,can cause wearers to have dry eyes.

Which one of the following if true most seriously undermines pharmacist's conclusion?

This indeed gives us a diff reason frm contact lenses whch can cause dry eyes. hence destroys the pharmacists conlcusion tht dry eyes are caused only by contact lenses.
This in turn confirms the pharmacists belief that contact lenses are the reason for dry eyes. (lenses cause physical exertion)
Use of most here, not conclusive enough. other people wth dry eyes may wear lenses.
Again most here, according to the passage there are people who do have dry eyes and wear contact lenses.
out of scope

OA : a

Legendary Member

by mundasingh123 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:07 am
rohu27 wrote:
prachich1987 wrote:Pharmacists recently conducted a study with respect to the reasons their customers purchased eye drops to soothe eye dryness.Dry eyes were more frequently experienced by customers who wore contact lenses than by customers who did not wear contact lenses.The pharmacist concluded that wearing contact lenses, by itself ,can cause wearers to have dry eyes.

This indeed gives us a diff reason frm contact lenses whch can cause dry eyes. hence destroys the pharmacists conlcusion tht dry eyes are caused only by contact lenses.
This in turn confirms the pharmacists belief that contact lenses are the reason for dry eyes. (lenses cause physical exertion)
Use of most here, not conclusive enough. other people wth dry eyes may wear lenses.
Again most here, according to the passage there are people who do have dry eyes and wear contact lenses.
out of scope

OA : a
In B Physical Exertion could be any Physical Exertion for example Exercises and not necessarily related to lenses.You are assuming that Lens causes Physical Exertion

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:29 am

OA : after some discussion
I received a PM asking me to comment.

Premise: Dry eyes were more frequently experienced by those who wear contacts.
Conclusion: Contacts can cause dry eyes.
Assumption: That there was no other reason for the dry eyes.

The most common way to weaken a causal argument is to suggest another possible cause. The correct answer choice likely will show that something other than the contact lenses caused the dry eyes.

A) An inherited condition can cause both weak eyesight and dry eyes. Correct. Suggests that it wasn't the contact lenses but the inherent condition that caused the dry eyes.

B) Physical exertion causes dry eyes in many people who wear contact lenses. How many is many? 10 people? 100,000 people? The word many is too indefinite to weaken the conclusion sufficiently. Also, we have no idea whether the people in the study exherted themselves physically. Eliminate B.

C) Most people who have dry eyes do not wear contact lenses. Out of scope. The argument is only about people who do wear contacts. Eliminate C.

D) Most people who wear contact lenses do not have dry eyes. So what? Contacts could still be the cause of dry eyes in the other 49.9% of contact wearers.

E) Both weak vision and dry eyes cause headache. Out of scope.

The correct answer is A.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member

by mundasingh123 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:49 am
Hi GmatGuruNY,
Thanks for the Help.But i have a doubt regarding Choice A
Also, we have no idea whether the people in the study exherted themselves physically
Similarly How can we relate weak eyesight to contacts.
People could wear contacts for cosmetic purposes as well and not solely because they have weak eyesight.And the people mentioned in the survey could be wearing lenses for cosmetic reasons.

Doesnt the Many word in choice be pair well with the Can Cause Dry eyes in the conclusion
Thanks
Gurvinder

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:43 pm
mundasingh123 wrote:Hi GmatGuruNY,
Also, we have no idea whether the people in the study exherted themselves physically
People could wear contacts for cosmetic purposes as well and not solely because they have weak eyesight.And the people mentioned in the survey could be wearing lenses for cosmetic reasons.

Doesnt the Many word in choice be pair well with the Can Cause Dry eyes in the conclusion
Thanks
Gurvinder
Perhaps I'm misinformed, but I think that the percentage of people who wear contacts solely for cosmetic purposes is very, very small. I would suspect that 99.99% of those who wear contacts do so in order to see better. Thus, we can reasonably assume that the contact wearers in the study have weak eyesight.

We cannot reasonably assume, however, that the contact wearers in the study physically exerted themselves. While the wearing of contacts is likely associated with weak eyesight (answer choice A), it is not necessarily associated with physical activity (answer choice B). Thus, A is the better answer choice.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member

by mundasingh123 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:06 pm
GMATGuruNY wrote:

Thanks
Gurvinder
Perhaps I'm misinformed, but I think that the percentage of people who wear contacts solely for cosmetic purposes is very, very small. I would suspect that 99.99% of those who wear contacts do so in order to see better. Thus, we can reasonably assume that the contact wearers in the study have weak eyesight.

We cannot reasonably assume, however, that the contact wearers in the study physically exerted themselves. While the wearing of contacts is likely associated with weak eyesight (answer choice A), it is not necessarily associated with physical activity (answer choice B). Thus, A is the better answer choice.
Hi GmatGuruNY, 1 More question.The stimulus doesnt mention weak eyesight and Option A brings in a new Concept of weak eyesight and doesnt not explicitly say that people with weak eyesight wear contact lens. So arent we bringing in outside Information to make the link between Contacts and Weak Eyesight.Thanks

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:16 pm
mundasingh123 wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote:

Thanks
Gurvinder

Hi GmatGuruNY, 1 More question.The stimulus doesnt mention weak eyesight and Option A brings in a new Concept of weak eyesight and doesnt not explicitly say that people with weak eyesight wear contact lens. So arent we bringing in outside Information to make the link between Contacts and Weak Eyesight.Thanks
Two points:

-- to weaken the conclusion, the correct answer often will offer new (but relevant) information
-- we are expected to recognize ideas that are intrinsically connected

For example:

Argument: A new study concludes that chocolate causes disease. When chocolate eaters were studied in the town of X, most showed signs of sickness.

Answer choice A: In the town of X there is a chemical plant that has been cited numerous times for illegally dumping chemical waste into the water supply.

Answer choice A weakens the conclusion even though it requires an understanding that chemical waste can cause disease.

Just as chemical waste is intrinsically connected to disease, so too is the wearing of contact lenses intrinsically connected to having weak eyesight. To recognize the connection, no real outside knowledge is required.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3