Ask PAUL BODINE 'Great Apps for B-School'

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:27 members

Ask PAUL BODINE 'Great Apps for B-School'

by paulsbodine » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:41 am
I'm happy to answer any posts regarding the admissions process, odds of admission, etc. Fire away ....
Paul Bodine
Author, "Great Applications for Business School," "Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance," "Perfect Phrases for Letters of Recommendation"
https://www.paulsbodine.com/
[email protected]
(858) 869-1959

by paulsbodine » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:49 pm
Structuring Wait-List Letters

An effective wait-list update letter (for schools that allow wait-listees to contact them) usually contains a 'recent developments' section (which is itself usually broken into professional, community, and personal subsections), a school fit affirmation section, and sometimes an 'addressing concerns' section. Although the recent developments section is the heart of the letter and should therefore usually begin right after the introductory paragraph, the order of these key sections is not carved in stone.

If you believe that the wait-listing school is mostly concerned about your level of interest in its program you might want to position your "reaffirm fit" section first, especially if you've been actively exploring the program (talking to students and alums, visiting the campus) since submitting your app. Similarly, if you've made good progress offsetting glaring weaknesses-e.g., you raised you GMAT score by 60 points-you might want to lead with that section. Also, it's very likely that you can combine parts of your 'recent developments' section with your 'addressing concerns' section. For example, if you had a weak history of community involvement but were recently named to the board of your local charity, this constitutes both an accomplishment to update them on and successful damage control on your application's weakness.
Paul Bodine
Author, "Great Applications for Business School," "Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance," "Perfect Phrases for Letters of Recommendation"
[email protected]
(858) 869-1959

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by KER82 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:23 am
Hi Paul,
I sent you a PM, but its still sitting in my outbox. The site moderator said it might be due to your full inbox. Let me know if this isn't the case, and I will troubleshoot from my end.
Thanks,
Katy

by paulsbodine » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:30 am
Katy,

Thanks, I got your message. My inbox is only 11% full. Will reply ASAP!
Paul Bodine
[email protected]
(858) 869-1959