NEED 570!!! PLEASE HELP!!!

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

NEED 570!!! PLEASE HELP!!!

by japon » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:57 pm
Dear All,

I just took my 1st GMAT exam 2 weeks ago and scored only 440, I need to obtain 570 by April 5th.
I have 2 more chances to take the GMAT(my next gmat is scheuled on Feb 16th(2 weeks from now))

I have been preparing for GMAT since Oct 1st 2010, basicaly going through OG 12, GMAT Quantitative Review 2nd Edition, GMAT Verbal Review 2nd Edition. I spend an average of 4~5 hours a day studying.

I can answer all of the Quantitative questions from OG 12 and Quantitative Review 2nd Edition, however since english is my second language, I am having a difficulty with the verbal section, especially the time management part. (I took 30 mins to answer my first 10 questions on the GMAT last time and I ran out of the time)

I bought a GMAT VERBAL BIBLE a week ago and going throgh 1 chapter a day from each section and my strategy for the next 2 months are [1] be able to answer all the Quantitative Questions from "OG 12" and "Q Review 2nd Edition" [2] Finish "GMAT VERBAL BIBLE" and redo Verbal Questions from "OG12" and "Verbal Review 2nd Edition" [3] take GMAT PREP at least 4 times, because I only took once before the last exam.

What do you think of my strategy? do you think it is enough to score 570? if you have any additional advice or studying tips, please tell me!

THANK YOU!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:52 members
GMAT Score:760

by rishi raj » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:24 am
There are two good things about your situation
1) You have a reasonable target score. It's unlike one of the target scores you see where where people aim for 700 on the second attempt after having scored a 450 on the first attempt
2) You have a good amount of time in hand.
I have not used the GMAT Verbal Bible so don't know how much helpful it is. Your strategy seems fine;however I see too much of emphasis on practise and less emphasis on building concepts.And you're especially gonna need this on Sentence correction. You might be facing difficulty in time management because your concepts maynot be very clear as a result of which your reflexes are not quick enough.

Secondly, if I were you, I wouldn't take the GMAT on 16th February if I were not prepared enough. Don't expect a miracle to happen .If you get the desired score,then well and good but but if you don't , you'll feel even pressurised to do well on the 3rd attempt and that will be really detrimental. Remember ,the age ol' say "Haste makes waste" :)

by japon » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:15 pm
Hello Raj,

Thank you so much for your prompt reply. You have revitalized me to study more.

I will try to put more emphasis on building concepts, I think "GMAT VERBAL BIBLE" is helping me on that.

so here is the daily studying routine that Ive been working on for the past 2 weeks.

~ before work~

1. 30 Quantitative questions from PS and DS which Ive got wrong. (basically redoing the same questions over and over)

~After work ~
2. 10 NEW PS and DS questions from "Quantitative Review 2nd Edition" (60~70% accuracy on 1st attempt)

3. read one chapter each from "GMAT VERBAL BIBLE" takes me about an hour to read each section)

4. Redoing questions from "OG 12 verbal section" (I do about 6 questions each from CR,RC,SC(I dont know weather it is helping me or not, because since Ive worked on them already 60% of the questions I already know the answer)

5. Thirty mins reading

(*I do one practice test on either sat or sunday. )

then I go to bed around 2:30 am ~ 3:00 am everynight.

Do you think my studying routine is efficient? ALso, I have run out of practice questions, so I am thinking about purchasing either "Princeton Review 2011" or "Kaplan Review 2011" Do you think I should start working on a new book?? or should I just concentrate on building concept as you told me, since my target aim is not too high???

by Winks » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:21 am
Reading this post has given me so much encouragement. I did my GMAT exam on 18th Feb and I scored a 440. I actually went into depression because that is a score that I had not expected or even imagined. I intend to re-do the exam some time in April and I really want to get 600marks.
I have moved from paper revision to full time computer revision. Yesterday I did one Kaplan test and I scored a 500.
I've also gone through this blog and I've felt so much encouraged from peoples stories since someone lied to me that most of the test retakers ALWAYS get lower marks than their first attempt.
All the best Japon, kindly let me know what other books you are using. Myself I only have the Kaplan premium..... I believe you will perform better next time....

by rfg123 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:59 am
japon,

I found the Manhattan GMAT books to go above and beyond in terms of GMAT preparation. Excellent strategies and in-depth information, presented in a very east-to-digest way. Good luck!

by japon » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:51 pm
Hello Winks,

Thank you so much for your comment, you encouraged me also, my friend.

Recently, I started taking "Veritas Prep Full-Course online"
Veritas course comes with 13 different text books(SC,RC,CR, PS, DS, ALGEBRA, GEOMETRY etc..), 24/7 support system, online demand course(for preview and review for the class) and most importanty excellent instructers. I have (Kevin and Mandy)

If you are really desperate to score 600 or above, I strongly recommend you to take this course, because it is helping me alot.

But I also believe that if you keep on working hard and never give up, I am sure you can obtain your target score by just studying by yourself.

Either way, I WISH ALL YOUR BEST MY FIRNED.

"LETS WORK HARD TOGETHER AND BEAT THE GMAT!"

Japon