LOOKING TO GET IN A TOP 20 PROGRAM...WHAT ARE MY ODDS?

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hello everybody!

Male, 28 , have an US Passport but originally from Brazil. Lived in 4 different countries during my youth and teens (Brazil, Equator, South Africa and the US), speak fluently 3 languages....and am currently working for a multinational construction firm in Panama for the last 4 years.

7 year work experience, with a pretty good job, making around $140k a year with a lot of International experience.

Graduated from the University of Miami in 04, majoring in Economics and Finance, with a 3.3 GPA. I also did a specialization in Accounting and Finance with an online university in Brazil (company sponsored), similar to an MBA but without the title.

Feel pretty confident that my LORs will be great, so not worried about that.

Just started studying for my GMAT, what score do I need to get in order to attend a Top 20 school? Recommend any schools?

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by gzeidan » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:05 am
Hi there

I think you have a good profile, also international experience and exposure seems to be very big on the agendas of US MBA programs. I would be curious to know why you want to do an mba? I don't think you'd be able to get the same salary let alone a salary boost by doing an MBA.

In terms of GMAT, you need to see the 80% range for different programs. For a top 20 you need around a 650+ to get in, along with good essays and strong LORs. Do not underestimate the importance of the essays and LORs.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by marceloorrico » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:14 am
Reasons for doing an MBA are:
(1) always had a dream of doing one of the top ones
(2) The industry that I am currently in ( infrastructure construction) is a difficult one, in terms of moving and places that you live, so I always figured a MBA could give me an opportunity to maybe switch industries and have more stability.
(3) Also, even if I do a MBA, and come back to the company I currently work for, the title will help me getting promotions, especially if its from a Top 20 program.
Thanks for the advice, I guess I will aim for650....going to start studing this week....wish me luck!!

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:113 members

by Stacy Blackman » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:18 pm
Hi marceloorrico,

You do have a strong profile. As mentioned above, it is a good idea to aim for at a minimum the 80% range of the business school you are targeting, although business schools weigh one's demographic when looking at scores. As an example, a female from France will not be expected to have as high a verbal score as a male born in the US.

For recommendations of business schools, what are you interested in pursuing post-graduation? Is there a specific location you are interested in?

I hope this was of help.

Best,

Conrad and the Stacy Blackman Team
Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: https://stacyblackman.com/contact
S T A C Y B L A C K M A N Consulting
Admissions Strategy
www.StacyBlackman.com

Read the SBC blog.

Follow me on Twitter.
Like SBC on Facebook.

Learn more about me