Didn't beat the gmat: (490, 16 Q, 40 V)

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Didn't beat the gmat: (490, 16 Q, 40 V)

by sthomaspan » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:14 pm
Hi all:

I took the GMAT this morning, and unfortunately did not beat it. I'm not sure what went wrong. I studied for about 2 months prior to enrolling in the PRE-MBA program at Fordham University and then studied for about 3 weeks intensively after completing the summer trimester. At Fordham, I did well in Calculus and Statistics, earning a B+ and A.

My practice scores are as follows:

APR 5th, 2009: 550, 33 Quant, 32 Verbal
JUN 7th, 2009: 530, 29 Quant, 34 Verbal
AUG 9th, 2009: 500, 29 Quant, 31 Verbal
AUG 30th, 2009: 470, 29 Quant, 29 Verbal

ACTUAL GMAT:
SEPT 14TH, 2009: 490 16 Quant, 40 Verbal

I used the following materials:

Princeton Review Cracking the GMAT
OG 11
Manhattan SC
Beat the Gmat Flashcards

I focused hard on math and was able to do the first 150 questions of the OG 11, but my comprehension of the various number properties really beat me. That combined with a lack of proper timing, I lost focus and became flustered. At the end of the Quant section I knew it was going to be bad, but I didn't realize how bad.

Any idea on what I can do to improve? I'm looking into the Vertias Quant Focus weekend seminar. With application deadlines looming, I have about a month to study before I'm scheduled to take it again on Oct, 17th.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by ogbeni » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:55 pm
Go with Manhattan GMAT. You already noted that number properties killed you - why not purchase Manhattan GMAT's number properties book?

There's hope, you just need to make sure you travel the proper road before your retake.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by riteshbindal » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:23 pm
BTW... You have got a great verbal score. I wish you luck for quanta section.
You can buy Manhatten Quant books and also solve all the questions posted in the quant section of beatthegmat daily to get best approaches to solve the question.

by sthomaspan » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:47 am
Thanks for the tips. I'm going to look into the Manhattan GMAT books and keep studying. I felt confident about the math going in, just have to keep at it.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by leugene » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:23 am
Most people learn better in a classroom type environment, so it's great that you will attend the seminar. Definitely nail down those concepts, and you will do well. Just keep asking questions if you don't fully understand. Best of luck to you.

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:710

by gmatmachoman » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:36 am
Hey Bro!!

Sorry for that..But plz dont lose hope..Off all Only hope survives..

On a lighternote....If we Indian guys get a stellar score like u in verbal we shall certainly rule HBS r Stanford...

Quants is a cakewalk for Indian bro,s but when it comes to verbal "jitters" all the way...

by katia1223 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:47 pm
I scored similarly on the GMAT and I'm currently enrolled in an MA program looking for my next move, which i believe will be to acquire an MBA from Fordham if I can get in. I know you were enrolled in the Pre-MBA, did you like it? What was your UG GPA? Did you apply to the regular school with the 490 score?

Some insight about how your application process went will surely shed some light on my endeavor.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by iridebikes » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:33 pm
Hey I was in a similar situation a few months ago. I scored 510 practice (41 verbal, low quant but I forget the exact score). I have been using the mgmat quant guides and my quant score has gone up significantly. For quant I would say you need a full review of the fundamentals before diving into the 600+ level questions. Even if you end up with like a 35-40 quant, your high verbal score will allow you to make it to a 600. It takes me around 2 weeks to read one mgmat book, become comfortable with the content and then answer the questions. Then I move on to another strategy guide and reserve one hour each day to go through the previous strategy guide again. Over time you're mind will get better at relating material and you will only get faster/better with quant. Stuff I read two months ago which seemed impossible to me is a nothing now, clearly showing that you can raise the bar over time. Good luck with your studies.