past perfect

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

past perfect

by beingAndNothing » Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:15 pm
According to some analysts, the gains in the stock market reflect growing
confidence that the economy will avoid the recession that many had feared earlier in the year and instead come in for a "soft landing", followed by a gradual increase in business activity.

(A) that the economy will avoid the recession that many had feared earlier in the year and instead come

(B) in the economy to avoid the recession, what many feared earlier in the year, rather to come

(C) in the economy's ability to avoid the recession, something earlier in the year many had feared, and instead to come

(D) in the economy to avoid the recession many were fearing earlier in the year, and rather to come

(E) that the economy will avoid the recession that was feared earlier this year by many, with it instead coming

OA is A. My understanding was that past perfect (had reached) can be used only when we have another event in the simple past. Any reasons why it is okay to use past perfect here.

thanks.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by solaris » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:52 pm
Your understanding is correct! There are indeed 2 actions occurring in the past here, no?

Earlier in the year: Fears of a recession.

Some time ago: Perhaps a recession will be avoided?

Now: Growing confidence that a recession will be avoided!

Legendary Member
Followed by:6 members

subjunctive mood and past perfect

by resilient » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:22 pm
I believe that both b, c and d are out because it needs to start with a THAT. The reason is becuase of the subjunctive mood requires THAT.
ALso past perfect is used because they feared it and its done. past perfect must stay in the past because something else happened after that. Also E is awkward and wordy. Am I right folks?
Appetite for 700 and I scraped my plate!