680 GMAT on both attempts!!! - Application advice needed

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:1 members
Hi Guys,

I just returned from my second GMAT attempt; scored a 680 (Q-44,V-39). My first attempt had been about 6 weeks ago when the score was also a 680(Q-40, V-42).

I was hoping to up the score to at least a 710. I am aiming to apply to the top 15 US BSchools including Harvard, Wharton, Kellogg, Stern, Columbia and Chicago Booth). Am not sure about how to take this. Although, the Quant score has gone up a bit (which I am happy about) the reduction in the verbal score has caused my overall score to remain the same. I scored a 6.0 on the AWA last time around and am hopeful of scoring the same this time around too. Would this be enough to make up for the reduction in the verbal score?

By the time I apply (Oct 2011 for entry in 2012 programs), I should have about 5 years of experience working as a consultant within the financial services sector. I also have decent under grad - (first class with distinction from India) and post grad scores - (A first (distinction) from the UK).

Would welcome any feedback on whether I should pursue a third attempt or work more closely on essays and recommendations.

Cheers,
K

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Ramit88 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:53 am
i think ur overall profile is pretty decent... 5 years work ex and good GPA.. acc to me u should work on ur essays...
and by the way how many probability and combination quest came in ur exam...??

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by khaliqueg » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:44 am
Thanks Ramit. Will have to give this a thought.

There were 2 combination type questions and no probability.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:750

by Random Wok » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:34 pm
You still have a long time before you have to apply. If you can boost your quant score past the 80th percentile, they'll have no reason to use your GMAT score against you. Plus, you're not going to spend the next 8 months writing essays. I would say take it one more time in the near term, and then let your score be what it is.