Thank you gift for recommenders

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:710

Thank you gift for recommenders

by sjb123 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:09 am
Hello,

My recommenders put in a lot of time into my recommendation letters and I wanted to thank them appropriately. This was both of their first time doing this, and I asked them to help me with six(!) schools. Aside from a well-thought, hand-written thank you card, does anyone have any thoughts on a gift?

Thank you
SB

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:740

by humblebee » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:32 pm
It depends on where you're from, gender of recommender and your budget.

Wine or alcohol of some sort is always the safe bet. Or perhaps dinner at a really nice restaurant or day spa treatment if a girl.

Personally, the other guy in my office gave our managers wine. Given I also used the same managers to write my recs, I couldn't give them more wine. So I had to get creative. I got one recommender a car rally driving experience. The other a voucher to do aerobatics in a tiger moth.
wannabe business school consultant

GMAT Score:710

by sjb123 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:54 pm
Wow, that is creative! thanks for the feedback :)

by Forchia7 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:18 am
As per my recommendations you should go with beautiful flower baskets. Have tried this in my dinner party, where I had used different flowers for everyone as thank you. They were all purchased from Flowers NYC service. All loved them

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by Donna@Stratus » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:57 am
sjb123 wrote:Hello,

My recommenders put in a lot of time into my recommendation letters and I wanted to thank them appropriately. This was both of their first time doing this, and I asked them to help me with six(!) schools. Aside from a well-thought, hand-written thank you card, does anyone have any thoughts on a gift?

Thank you
SB
So I can't top the creative things listed already, but if you know the person likes tennis for example, get them a gift card to a favorite tennis shop- or if they like sports maybe tickets to a big event etc. Although that can be tricky if they can't make the date... but the idea is if you want to go beyond the gift card, you should think about what might be something they'd like but probably would not do for themselves. A female might like a spa day... although I don't think the gift needs to exceed $100 although that is at your budget and discretion. Don't forget most of all to write a note yourself expressing how much you appreciate their time and effort!