Controversial mortgage laws passed last year state tha

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Controversial mortgage laws passed last year state that, if at any point during the maturation period of the loan the person in whose name it is taken is not able to meet the payments, that person's spouse will have responsibilities that include paying the balance.

1. will have responsibilities that include
2. will be responsible to pay
3. is responsible to pay
4. will be responsible for paying
5. is responsible for paying

Ans: D

Japan's abundant rainfall and the typically mild temperature throughout most of the country have produced a lush vegetation cover and, despite the mountainous terrain and generally poor soils, it has made possible the raising of a variety of crops.

A. it has made possible the raising of
B. has made possible for them to raise
C. have made it possible to raise
D. have made it possible for raising
E. thus making it possible for them to raise.

Ans: C

I have posted two questions to explain my confusion. Please pardon me.
For both the above questions, the decision between the shortlisted two answers (B and D for first question, C and D for second) was taken according to the correct idiom usage.

I get really confused when i choose between a '+ing' form and 'to + verb' form

Is there a way select the correct form even if i do not know the correct idiom.

Following is something that i have read from one forum but it did not helped me in the above cases.

"if you have to choose between an "ing" verb and the infinitive AFTER another verb, always choose the infinitive. When the verb does not follow another verb, the participle ("ing" form) is usually correct.
a. Coronary angiography, a sophisticated method used for diagnosing coronary ..."
i. we'd say "to diagnose" instead of "for diagnosing".
b. Coronary angiography, a sophisticated method for diagnosing coronary disease
i. Here 'for diagnosing' is correct
"

Please help me to understand this split.
regards

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:365 members

by VivianKerr » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:16 pm
Hi!

It is true that often we see a verb following a verb with the second verb in infinitive form, but many of these questions rely on context and idiom so I don't think you can use that as a hard and fast rule. I think what would be the most helpful to you would be to do more grammar review and try to see infinitives and participles in as many examples as possible so you can better recognize what "sounds" right.

Here's the basics:

Participles are verbs that function as adjectives, and ends in -ing or sometimes -ed. Participles and participial phrases must be placed as close to the nouns or pronouns they modify as possible, and those nouns or pronouns must be clearly stated.

Infinitives are verbs but can have MANY functions in the sentence: noun, adjective, adverb, etc. Because they can function in numerous way within a sentence, they can be harder to understand.

https://www.ego4u.com/en/cram-up/grammar ... infinitive

This web site identifies NINE different uses for the infinitive with examples, so you can read up on its usage. I like this site's explanations too:

https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/627/03/

The good news is that these verb tense errors are often accompanied by another error like idiom or parallelism, so that can help you narrow down answer choices! For example, in Question 1, we needed a future tense verb, "will," so you could have quickly eliminated two choices. Hope this helps! :)
Vivian Kerr
GMAT Rockstar, Tutor
https://www.GMATrockstar.com
https://www.yelp.com/biz/gmat-rockstar-los-angeles

Former Kaplan and Grockit instructor, freelance GMAT content creator, now offering affordable, effective, Skype-tutoring for the GMAT at $150/hr. Contact: [email protected]

Thank you for all the "thanks" and "follows"! :-)

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:52 pm
what's the source of these problems?
the idiom choices are legitimate, but the writing is a bit loose/sloppy. also, either of choices #4 and #5 can work in the first one -- either of these tenses is fine, although the implied context is slightly different in the two cases.

analogy:
if the u.s. president is killed, the vice-president will become president.
--> this works, in a context in which this is presented as an actual event that might happen.
if the u.s. president is killed, the vice-president becomes president.
--> this works, in a more abstract discussion of the workings of the u.s. chain of command. (this would be how you'd see this sort of thing presented in, e.g., a school textbook on american government)

for similar reasons, both tenses in the first example (#4 and #5) are legitimate. so, be careful there.
I get really confused when i choose between a '+ing' form and 'to + verb' form
your confusion is understandable, as there are no simple rules for this sort of thing.
Is there a way select the correct form even if i do not know the correct idiom.
unfortunately, not really.
(this is actually the significance of the word "idiom" = those aspects of language that can't be deduced from rules and logic, but that occur naturally in the speech of native speakers.)
Following is something that i have read from one forum but it did not helped me in the above cases.

"if you have to choose between an "ing" verb and the infinitive AFTER another verb, always choose the infinitive. When the verb does not follow another verb, the participle ("ing" form) is usually correct.
a. Coronary angiography, a sophisticated method used for diagnosing coronary ..."
i. we'd say "to diagnose" instead of "for diagnosing".
b. Coronary angiography, a sophisticated method for diagnosing coronary disease
i. Here 'for diagnosing' is correct
"
regards
yeah, i would be careful with using the word "always" in contexts like these.

it's possible that this tip is just meant as a gamble -- i.e., you're basically playing the odds and picking the option that is most probable (if this is indeed the most probable idiom in such cases -- i can't say for sure; i'd have to do a bunch of research to figure that out).
in that sense, this advice may be worth something: if the problem comes down to an idiom split and you don't know the idiom, then "playing the odds" is really the only thing you can do.
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

Legendary Member
Followed by:10 members
GMAT Score:700

by prachich1987 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:59 pm
Thanks missionGMAT007 for posting these problems
can you please reveal source?

by missionGMAT007 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:42 pm
prachich1987 wrote:Thanks missionGMAT007 for posting these problems
These questions are already discussed in forums such as gmatclub, beatthegmat etc. I do not know of any specific source of these questions.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:13 am
missionGMAT007 wrote:
prachich1987 wrote:Thanks missionGMAT007 for posting these problems
These questions are already discussed in forums such as gmatclub, beatthegmat etc. I do not know of any specific source of these questions.
you should beware questions from unknown sources -- especially if they're sentence correction questions. there are a lot of really bad sentence correction problems flying around out there.

proper review of official sentence correction problems (where "proper review" includes all of the steps listed for SC in this post: https://www.beatthegmat.com/550-to-720-i ... tml#330724), including OG and gmatprep, should be more than enough to keep a student occupied for months and months.
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

by missionGMAT007 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:05 am
lunarpower wrote: you should beware questions from unknown sources -- especially if they're sentence correction questions. there are a lot of really bad sentence correction problems flying around out there.

proper review of official sentence correction problems (where "proper review" includes all of the steps listed for SC in this post: https://www.beatthegmat.com/550-to-720-i ... tml#330724), including OG and gmatprep, should be more than enough to keep a student occupied for months and months.
thanks Ron :)

by missionGMAT007 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:05 am
VivianKerr wrote:Hi!

It is true that often we see a verb following a verb with the second verb in infinitive form, but many of these questions rely on context and idiom so I don't think you can use that as a hard and fast rule. I think what would be the most helpful to you would be to do more grammar review and try to see infinitives and participles in as many examples as possible so you can better recognize what "sounds" right.

Here's the basics:

Participles are verbs that function as adjectives, and ends in -ing or sometimes -ed. Participles and participial phrases must be placed as close to the nouns or pronouns they modify as possible, and those nouns or pronouns must be clearly stated.

Infinitives are verbs but can have MANY functions in the sentence: noun, adjective, adverb, etc. Because they can function in numerous way within a sentence, they can be harder to understand.

https://www.ego4u.com/en/cram-up/grammar ... infinitive

This web site identifies NINE different uses for the infinitive with examples, so you can read up on its usage. I like this site's explanations too:

https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/627/03/

The good news is that these verb tense errors are often accompanied by another error like idiom or parallelism, so that can help you narrow down answer choices! For example, in Question 1, we needed a future tense verb, "will," so you could have quickly eliminated two choices. Hope this helps! :)
Thanks Vivian :)