Kaplan 800---Medieval Monasteries

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:10 members
GMAT Score:700

Kaplan 800---Medieval Monasteries

by prachich1987 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:45 am
Early medieval monasteries, while clearly less accessible to outsiders, often served as repositories for texts, like modem libraries.

(A)while clearly less accessible to outsiders, often served as repositories for texts, like modern libraries

(B)like modern libraries, often served as text repositories, though they were clearly less accessible to outsiders

(C)while clearly less accessible to outsiders, often served as repositories for texts as does the modern library

(D)like modern libraries, while clearly less accessible to outsiders, often served as repositories for texts

(E)while clearly less accessible to outsiders, acted like modern libraries act by serving as repositories for texts

The OA given is A and I agree that A would be the best choice here.
But shouldn't there be "DO" after monasteries.
I always face difficulties in these kind of sentences.How to decide whether using a verb is necessary or redundant?Thanks !

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by gmat1011 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:09 am
this is one of those questions to which you will perhaps never find a satisfactory answer
I picked b. "they" doesn't seem ambiguous to me... but apparently the principle being tested is "they" is ambiguous in b as it can technically refer to both...
If you can eliminate b the only thing left is A pretty much

As discussed in the thread below and many other internet postings if you google... in A it seems to me that "like..." is just too far from 'monasteries'.. but apparently distance doesn't matter if you use commas in the middle... I guess thats one take-away from this question

https://gmatclub.com/forum/sc-early-medi ... 13202.html

I think ideally A should have: like modern libraries (do)... but maybe its omitted because its implied... else, the question would be too easy

Another instance of a weird omission that threw me off is OG 12th ed Q 93 option A... this year THAN last... it didn't say "last year"... I eliminated A only to find it was the correct answer

by gmat1011 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:34 am
actually A cannot have like modern libraries (do)...

like is used to compare nouns and "as" is used for comparing actions

you need an "as" for adding a "do"

, as modern libraries do ---> then you compare actions...

but there is of course no such option here and the sentence intends to compare the 2 institutions not 2 similar actions in terms of ability to store stuff

Legendary Member

by prachich1987 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:31 am
gmat1011 wrote:actually A cannot have like modern libraries (do)...

like is used to compare nouns and "as" is used for comparing actions

you need an "as" for adding a "do"

, as modern libraries do ---> then you compare actions...

but there is of course no such option here and the sentence intends to compare the 2 institutions not 2 similar actions in terms of ability to store stuff
Thanks gmat1011.

by BastiG » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:09 am
One question:

If we would rephrase "while clearly less accessible to outsiders, often served as repositories for texts as does the modern library" to
while clearly less accessible to outsiders, often served as repositories for texts as do modern libraries would this answer choice be correct. I think we can use as here because two actions are compared: served as repositories for texts.
Furthermore the official answer states that answer choice c is not wrong because of the wrong usage of as, but because the plural word monasteries is compared to the single word library.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:365 members

by VivianKerr » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:35 am
Hi BastiG!

My understanding is that there is an implied comparison between "modern libraries" and "medieval monasteries." The comparison is clear without a need for a verb like "do."

To your question:

while clearly less accessible to outsiders, often served as repositories for texts as do modern libraries

This muddles the comparison, especially because you've introduced a present tense verb when you already have a past tense verb in the sentence. Taking out the appositive, the sentence would read:

"Medieval monasteries often served as repositories for texts as do modern libraries."

For the sentence to make sense, we'd need to change the verb "do" to the past tense "did," but if we look at the result:

"Medieval monasteries often served as repositories for texts as did modern libraries."

Uh-oh! Now we've lost the logic of the comparison, since "modern" implies the present. No verb is needed; it would complicate the comparison.
Vivian Kerr
GMAT Rockstar, Tutor
https://www.GMATrockstar.com
https://www.yelp.com/biz/gmat-rockstar-los-angeles

Former Kaplan and Grockit instructor, freelance GMAT content creator, now offering affordable, effective, Skype-tutoring for the GMAT at $150/hr. Contact: [email protected]

Thank you for all the "thanks" and "follows"! :-)

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by RACHVIK » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:53 am
Early medieval monasteries, while clearly less accessible to outsiders, often served as repositories for texts, like modem libraries.

(A)while clearly less accessible to outsiders, often served as repositories for texts, like modern libraries

(B)like modern libraries, often served as text repositories, though they were clearly less accessible to outsiders

(C)while clearly less accessible to outsiders, often served as repositories for texts as does the modern library

(D)like modern libraries, while clearly less accessible to outsiders, often served as repositories for texts

(E)while clearly less accessible to outsiders, acted like modern libraries act by serving as repositories for texts

I would like to differ on this. Option A is not the best choice. it appears as if libraries are being compared to texts??
Can you check up this with KAPLAN.

I would go for choice D. Choice B is wrong as 'they' refer to 'repositories' and changes the meaning of sentence.
I feel best comparison would be to say 'as modern libraries did' in Option A.

Can some expert help!!
Rachvik

Legendary Member

by prachich1987 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:43 am
BastiG wrote:One question:

If we would rephrase "while clearly less accessible to outsiders, often served as repositories for texts as does the modern library" to
while clearly less accessible to outsiders, often served as repositories for texts as do modern libraries would this answer choice be correct. I think we can use as here because two actions are compared: served as repositories for texts.
Furthermore the official answer states that answer choice c is not wrong because of the wrong usage of as, but because the plural word monasteries is compared to the single word library.
I second.
"while clearly less accessible to outsiders, often served as repositories for texts as do the modern library" should be right

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:12 pm
prachich1987 wrote:Early medieval monasteries, while clearly less accessible to outsiders, often served as repositories for texts, like modem libraries.

I always face difficulties in these kind of sentences.How to decide whether using a verb is necessary or redundant?Thanks!
I received a PM asking me to comment.

C incorrectly implies that the modern library (singular) serves as repositories (plural). Eliminate C.

In D, the phrase while clearly less accessible to outsiders should follow not the noun libraries but the noun monasteries in order to make clear that it was the monasteries that were less accessible to outsiders. Eliminate D.

E incorrectly uses like to compare actions: the way the monasteries acted with the way modern libraries act. Like is used to compare nouns, not actions. Eliminate E.

In B, the pronoun they is ambiguous. If an answer choice contains an ambiguous pronoun and another answer choice is free of errors and avoids the ambiguity, eliminate the answer choice with the ambiguity. Since A has no clear error and avoids the ambiguity, eliminate B.

The correct answer is A.

While the placement of the phrase like modern libraries might seem awkward, it's clear in A that the monasteries are being compared to modern libraries, so the placement doesn't present a clear error. A good rule of thumb:

If you're debating between A and another answer choice, and you can't spot a clear error in A, eliminate the other answer choice and pick A. It's safer to stick with the original sentence.
Last edited by GMATGuruNY on Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member

by prachich1987 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:05 pm
GMATGuruNY wrote:
prachich1987 wrote:Early medieval monasteries, while clearly less accessible to outsiders, often served as repositories for texts, like modem libraries.

I always face difficulties in these kind of sentences.How to decide whether using a verb is necessary or redundant?Thanks!

C incorrectly compares monasteries (plural) to the modern library (singular). Eliminate C.

In D, the phrase while clearly less accessible to outsiders should follow not the noun libraries but the noun monasteries in order to make clear that it was the monasteries that were less accessible to outsiders. Eliminate D.

E incorrectly uses like to compare actions: the way the monasteries acted with the way modern libraries act. Like is used to compare nouns, not actions. Eliminate E.

In B, the pronoun they is ambiguous. If an answer choice contains an ambiguous pronoun and another answer choice is free of errors and avoids the ambiguity, eliminate the answer choice with the ambiguity. Since A has no clear error and avoids the ambiguity, eliminate B.

The correct answer is A.
While the placement of the phrase like modern libraries might seem awkward, it's clear in A that the monasteries are being compared to modern libraries, so the placement doesn't present a clear error. A good rule of thumb:

If you're debating between A and another answer choice, and you can't spot a clear error in A, eliminate the other answer choice and pick A. It's safer to stick with the original sentence.
Hi GMATGuruNY,

Thanks for your explanation above.
Please answer my query but. In A shouldn't there be "DO" after monasteries?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:14 am
prachich1987 wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote:

C incorrectly compares monasteries (plural) to the modern library (singular). Eliminate C.

The correct answer is A.

Hi GMATGuruNY,

Thanks for your explanation above.
Please answer my query but. In A shouldn't there be "DO" after monasteries?
Like modern monasteries do would be incorrect. Like cannot be used to compare actions. To compare actions, we use the word as.

Also, the intention here is to compare not the actions -- how early monasteries served with how modern libraries serve -- but the BUILDINGS themselves (the monasteries were like modern libraries).
Last edited by GMATGuruNY on Tue May 01, 2012 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:365 members

by VivianKerr » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:17 pm
Hi! I just got your private message. Sorry if my earlier explanation was unclear. Mitch is correct. :)
Vivian Kerr
GMAT Rockstar, Tutor
https://www.GMATrockstar.com
https://www.yelp.com/biz/gmat-rockstar-los-angeles

Former Kaplan and Grockit instructor, freelance GMAT content creator, now offering affordable, effective, Skype-tutoring for the GMAT at $150/hr. Contact: [email protected]

Thank you for all the "thanks" and "follows"! :-)

Legendary Member
Followed by:7 members

by GMATMadeEasy » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:25 am
@GMATGuruNY : YOu mentioned that C compares a singular entity with plural , can we use it as a rule everywhere ?

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members

by mundasingh123 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:44 am
gmat1011 wrote:th

I think ideally A should have: like modern libraries (do)... but maybe its omitted because its implied... else, the question would be too easy
Like Modern librariries (do) is wrong .Like has to be replaced with as.Like can only compare nouns and not ideas

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by krathi » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:42 am
Hi Mitch,

As per your answer, I had 2 questions:

1. Is comparison of plural with singular wrong? I saw a few questions in the OG that do that.Besides even in MGMAT SC book they say it should be fine.(cars-toes example)

2. The right answer is A(acc to kaplan), however, "like modern libraries" is a noun modifier, right? Shouldn't it be touching the the modified phrase "Early ,medieval monasteries"?

Thanks,
Khushbu.