How bad is 82nd percentile in Quant? (I got 740 overall)

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:740
Hi, I took the GMAT only today, after preparing for about 3 weeks. I scored 740 overall. My breakup was Quant: 48 (82nd percentile) and Verbal:42(95th percentile). My Quant was much lower than expected, but my overall score was decent.

I'm indian, and I come from an engg background, and will be applying for the 2+2 programs. I'm currently in my Junior Year. What I'd like to know is how badly the quant percentile will affect my chances. Is it worth retaking the test? Can I make up for it with my GPA(~3.8) and co curricular activities?

My profile is pretty decent otherwise: I'm one of the top rankers in my batch, am actively involved in many clubs( head some of them) and am on the college main basketball team.

I'm confused, please do help!

by boomboom » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:40 am
RELAX u have a great score ! Nobody will care about the fact that you got just a 48 in Quant :-) Congrats on doing so well

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by milanproda » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:29 am
RELAX bro 740 are you serious?!! Congrats

Ps how is the team doing? =)
Milan Prodanovic
[email protected]

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Ramit88 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:13 am
u have a good score..peace out man..lol
anyways can u please tell how many probability and combination questions came in your exam

GMAT Score:740

by Kamranga » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:35 am
@ boomboom and milanproda: Thanks! Its just that I've heard about top schools being very picky about the breakup too. Apparently, you'd need more than 85 to be seriously eligible. And the team is doing GREAT. Waiting for me to start playing, now that GMAT is over ;)

@Ramit88: I don't really remember, but i can recall atleast 2-3 combination related problems, but no probability..