First attempt 640, second attempt 710!! :) :)

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Just gave my GMAT..happy with the score that it crossed magic figure of 700 :)..Had done better in preps but I guess stress took it's toll...

Will come back soon and give details of what and what not to study...need to rest for now!!

Priyanka
Priyanka

Legendary Member
Followed by:33 members
GMAT Score:710

by bblast » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:47 am
congrats girl
Cheers !!

Quant 47-Striving for 50
Verbal 34-Striving for 40

My gmat journey :
https://www.beatthegmat.com/710-bblast-s ... 90735.html
My take on the GMAT RC :
https://www.beatthegmat.com/ways-to-bbla ... 90808.html
How to prepare before your MBA:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upz46D7 ... TWBZF14TKW_

by priyankas_rai » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:50 am
Hey all,

I want to share a few tips regarding GMAT prep..

What helped me..good books & tests:

My Test score were:
1. MGMAT1: 680 (Q 48, V 36)
2. MGMAT2: 720 (Q 48, V 40)
3. MGMAT3: 730 (Q 49, V 41)
4. MGMAT4: 740 (Q 49, V 42)
5. GMATPREP1: 740
6. GMATPREP2: 750
7. KAPLAN1: 660 (Q 49, V 39)
8. KAPLAN2: 700 ( Q 54?????, V 31)
9. KAPLAN3: 700 (Q 52?????, V 35)
10. Priceton: 720

I don't know how Kaplan gave me 54 & 52....just think it was some scoring error..network connection problem I guess. A feedback abt tests:

Kaplan: Quant too easy, Verbal is OK.
Princeton: If you want to give it, do it in the beginning. Not much to learn. Easy questions.
Manhattan: Must do. Even if you dont do well in first test (even I didn't) give it another try after you review your first test. The quant of actual GMAT was simpler than that of MGMAT, whereas verbal was of same level (or i felt to bcoz I was quite numb when I did that section in actual GMAT!!)
GMATPREP: Quant was more or less of same level, Verbal was way tougher in actual GMAT

I think the Manhattan tests helped a lot in practising with 'tough questions'. Once I gave the first Manhattan test, I realized that I had found my treasure. Believe me, after you complete OG12 (I did it twice btw, second run was exclusively for redoing the questions I had got wrong in first attempt in Verbal..and it did help me), you won't find many books which will give you tougher questions to practice or bigger question bank. If you feel like this too, Manhattan GMAT is just what you need :)

Now review of books I laid my hands on:
Manhattan Word problems & CR: Word problems is an excellent book to practice 700+ level question. If you are good at quant in general, this is the book for you. CR was excellent too. Helped me understand some typical assumption and conclusion type questions. Other good might be as good. Try their set of 8.

Kaplan 2010 Premier edition: Concise book. One book to give an overview of basic concepts. To be done in the beginning.

Princeton Review: Can avoid it if u'r doing Manhattan & OG12. DO either Kaplan or Princeton

My opinion is that Manhattan tests and books are the best. When I finished OG12, I was looking for more material. Some tough question bank which can help me build my stamina.. And nothing is better than MGMAT. It is ruthless..true..but you need to be comfortable when you see tough questions in exams rather than flip out. So practice with MGMAT.

More to come.....let me know if you need any help.

Priyanka Rai[/list][/b]
Priyanka

Legendary Member

by bblast » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:57 am
any tips on the mistakes u made on the first attempt and corrected on the 2nd ?
Cheers !!

Quant 47-Striving for 50

My gmat journey :
My take on the GMAT RC :

Followed by:1 members

by juhimalik » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:11 am
Congrats girl :)

Thats amazing. Where do you plan to go to study?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:700

by samarpan_bschool » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:09 am
priyankas_rai wrote:Hey all,

My Test score were:

I don't know how Kaplan gave me 54 & 52....just think it was some scoring error..network connection problem I guess. A feedback abt tests:

Princeton: If you want to give it, do it in the beginning. Not much to learn. Easy questions.
Manhattan: Must do. Even if you dont do well in first test (even I didn't) give it another try after you review your first test. The quant of actual GMAT was simpler than that of MGMAT, whereas verbal was of same level (or i felt to bcoz I was quite numb when I did that section in actual GMAT!!)
GMATPREP: Quant was more or less of same level, Verbal was way tougher in actual GMAT

I think the Manhattan tests helped a lot in practising with 'tough questions'. Once I gave the first Manhattan test, I realized that I had found my treasure. Believe me, after you complete OG12 (I did it twice btw, second run was exclusively for redoing the questions I had got wrong in first attempt in Verbal..and it did help me), you won't find many books which will give you tougher questions to practice or bigger question bank. If you feel like this too, Manhattan GMAT is just what you need :)

Manhattan Word problems & CR: Word problems is an excellent book to practice 700+ level question. If you are good at quant in general, this is the book for you. CR was excellent too. Helped me understand some typical assumption and conclusion type questions. Other good might be as good. Try their set of 8.

Kaplan 2010 Premier edition: Concise book. One book to give an overview of basic concepts. To be done in the beginning.

Princeton Review: Can avoid it if u'r doing Manhattan & OG12. DO either Kaplan or Princeton

My opinion is that Manhattan tests and books are the best. When I finished OG12, I was looking for more material. Some tough question bank which can help me build my stamina.. And nothing is better than MGMAT. It is ruthless..true..but you need to be comfortable when you see tough questions in exams rather than flip out. So practice with MGMAT.

Priyanka Rai[/list][/b]
congratulatins Priyanka. Can you talk about the level of difficulty in verbal questions - especially SC and CR? Were they of the same difficulty level as GMAT prep / MGMAT?

Thanks

by priyankas_rai » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:07 am
bblast wrote:any tips on the mistakes u made on the first attempt and corrected on the 2nd ?
Studied a bit more, gave little more tests, and used Manhattan. And yes, if quant is ur forte, start with verbal first. Give dedicated one month to this section only

Priyanka
Priyanka

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:5 members

by powerpuff » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:14 am
Congratulations on getting a good score!

Legendary Member

by bblast » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:18 am
priyankas_rai wrote:
bblast wrote:any tips on the mistakes u made on the first attempt and corrected on the 2nd ?
Studied a bit more, gave little more tests, and used Manhattan. And yes, if quant is ur forte, start with verbal first. Give dedicated one month to this section only

Priyanka
the bad news is that I only have a month in total to dedicate to all :(
the good news is I used all mgmat books :)
Cheers !!

Quant 47-Striving for 50

My gmat journey :
My take on the GMAT RC :

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by prada » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:09 am
Hey Congrats

Do you think the the "big three: MGMAT books are sufficent to study? i.e Review, Verbal, Quantitative.

Ive started the MGMAT Review and the material is not too difficult its just strategies to answer them I have to develop

by priyankas_rai » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:49 am
prada wrote:Hey Congrats

Do you think the the "big three: MGMAT books are sufficent to study? i.e Review, Verbal, Quantitative.

Ive started the MGMAT Review and the material is not too difficult its just strategies to answer them I have to develop
What I suggest is that you take a couple of tests first, judge what is your weak area and pick an additional book if required. For example, I was good in quant in general, but wanted to study probabilty , P&C so picked word problems book.

Priyanka
Priyanka

by priyankas_rai » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:57 am
samarpan_bschool wrote:
priyankas_rai wrote:Hey all,

My Test score were:

Priyanka Rai[/list][/b]
congratulatins Priyanka. Can you talk about the level of difficulty in verbal questions - especially SC and CR? Were they of the same difficulty level as GMAT prep / MGMAT?

Thanks
Verbal was of the same level as Manhattan, tougher than GMAT Prep
Priyanka