Assumption Question_How to apply denial test?

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members
When storing Renaissance oil paintings, museums conform to standards that call for careful control of the surrounding temperature and humidity, with variations confined within narrow margins. Maintaining this environment is very costly, and recent research shows that even old oil paint is unaffected by wide fluctuations in temperature and humidity. Therefore, museums could relax their standards and save money without endangering their Renaissance oil paintings.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

A. Renaissance paintings were created in conditions involving far greater fluctuations in temperature and humidity than those permitted by current standards.
B. Under the current standards that museums use when storing Renaissance oil paintings, those paintings do not deteriorate at all.
C. Museum collections typically do not contain items that are more likely to be vulnerable to fluctuations in temperature and humidity than Renaissance oil paintings.
D. None of the materials in Renaissance oil paintings other than the paint are vulnerable enough to relatively wide fluctuations in temperature and humidity to cause damage to the paintings.
E. Most Renaissance oil paintings are stored in museums located in regions near the regions where the paintings were created.

In case of Assumption questions, we can apply denial test. Would any expert explain how the denial test work in this CR?
Thanks.

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members
GMAT Score:730

by hardik.jadeja » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:28 am

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by gmat_perfect » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:27 am
hardik.jadeja wrote:Refer this thread:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/old-paintings-t54846.html
Thanks for the reference.

Before posting this one, I have seen the referred post. I know the answer, and I can get the answer. My question is how to apply negation test in ASSUMPTION questions.

Any expert?

Thanks.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:50 pm
gmat_perfect wrote:When storing Renaissance oil paintings, museums conform to standards that call for careful control of the surrounding temperature and humidity, with variations confined within narrow margins. Maintaining this environment is very costly, and recent research shows that even old oil paint is unaffected by wide fluctuations in temperature and humidity. Therefore, museums could relax their standards and save money without endangering their Renaissance oil paintings.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

D. None of the materials in Renaissance oil paintings other than the paint are vulnerable enough to relatively wide fluctuations in temperature and humidity to cause damage to the paintings.
In case of Assumption questions, we can apply denial test. Would any expert explain how the denial test work in this CR?
Thanks.
The opposite of the word none is some. Negate D and you get:

Some of the materials in Renaissance oil paintings other than the paint are vulnerable enough to relatively wide fluctuations in temperature and humidity to cause damage to the painting.

If some of the materials in the oil paintings are vulnerable to damage, the argument falls apart.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by Target2009 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:50 pm
IMO - D