Congrats! Tell us how you did it
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:720

Admitted to EM Lyon

by Sathyan_911 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:02 am
Hi guys

I was admitted to EM Lyon for the msc in management program starting in september 2011. Here is a short intro to my profile......

* Indian/M/20
* Did most of my schooling in Maldives
* Currently doing final year of engineering from a University in India ( 7.0 gpa on 10 point scale)
* GMAT score of 720 ( q49 v40 )
* Decent Extra currics and volunteering

I applied to the masters in management programs at LBS, HEC and EM Lyon.... the latter two was a combined application process which was relatively easy when compared to the LBS process ( involved tougher essays )...

The LBS result came first and I wasn't even invited to an interview....ouch.....some whiskey and a hangover later, I heard i had been invited to the SAI interview for HEC and EM Lyon... sobered up....

My interview was in Mumbai in the end of november, right when i had my semester exams..... And the interview dates were not flexible too... somehow, i got myself to mumbai and attended the interview

The interview experience was very interesting... only 4 people were interviewed in mumbai and i was the last to appear... contrary to popular belief, the hardest part of the interview is actually waiting for it to begin

Anyway, the interview is in an office owned/rented by the Paris chamber of commerce( CCIP )... the interveiwers were 2 Indian guys...one had studied at ESCP Europe and now was a professor.... the other did an MBA from Audencia Nantes and was a consultant... dont remember which company.... the third was a french lady working at the CCIP...

The interview began with basic introductions... I ll list the questions asked but i probably dont remember them all...will do my best to cover most of it
* Tell us about yourself?
* Why have u applied only to HEC and EM Lyon and not the other three?
* Why MSc in Management?
* Why now?
* Why france? What do u know about french culture?
* Why not do an MBA, say from the IIMs?
* Why did u pursue engineering?
* How sure are you that this course is right for u?

Most of the other questions were either about my past or were questions about my Resume, focusing on my extra curricular activities...

Overall, the interview was a pleasant experience, my trembling and stammering apart.... :) .... i recall that we spent a lot of time laughing and it was more like a lively discussion rather than just a Q and A....

There weren't any surprise questions, but this was something out of the ordinary
* Which do u like most in france, The Eiffel tower, Big Ben or the Arc de Triomphe... :)

The interview lasted for about 40 minutes i would guess.... but never noticed the time passing....

The results were announced about 3 weeks later.... dinged by HEC but accepted at EM Lyon....Not bad.... Not bad at all :)

For all those who are applying to rounds 2 and 3 of the SAI admission process, good luck and pay close attention to your resume as most of the questions are from there... have a convincing story of why u want to go to france and why that particular program....

Godspeed

Sathyan

Community Manager
Followed by:24 members

by shovan85 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:57 am
Congratulations Sathyan!!
If the problem is Easy Respect it, if the problem is tough Attack it

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:21 pm
Congrats Sathyan, and thank you so much for sharing this full debrief!
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

by Sathyan_911 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:22 pm
@shovan85 and beatthegmat.... thank u very much :)

Btw, is there anyone else in these parts who has been accepted to em lyon for the september 2011 intake?

Site Admin
Followed by:7 members

by sumayahlaura » Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:17 pm
Thanks for the detailed information and congratulations on your future. I look forward to hearing more about your continued success!

by Sathyan_911 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:33 pm
thank u sumayahrose...

by priya.sharma » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:11 am
Hey Sathyan
I am Priya from India too.
Good to hear you are joining EMlyon for MSc in Management. I am doing the same in September 2011 for the same course. Will see you there. Let's connect through facebook.

by Sathyan_911 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:48 am
hi priya.... u can find me at https://www.facebook.com/talcum.powder

tried searching for u on FB but there were too many priya sharmas... :|

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by sachin_Anand » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:55 am
Hi Sathyan & priya,

I too have an acceptance call from EMLYON .However , it is for the MBA programme.I am almost sure to join the programme this September.So,be in touch .Pls add me to your Facebook list :

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=905065004

Have you guys did any French course ? do let me know ...

Thanks,

Sachin

by priya.sharma » Fri May 13, 2011 10:22 am
Hey Sachin and Sathyan
I've sent a request to both of you on fb. Let's get in touch.

Priya

by kamalmiddya » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:38 pm
Hey Guys,

Even I am going to join EM Lyon this September, for IMBA.

See you there :)

Kamal

by Kofucius » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:20 am
I too will be joining the upcoming iMBA class, see you all in late August

Kofi

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by gig92 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:10 am
Hi all,

I don't want to kill all the excitement but let me tell you the truth if you want to join EM Lyon MBA! MBAs in France, in general are not very sought after degrees for jobs unless you are one of the Top 10s in the world! Another thing, Master in Management won't lead you to a good job in France (consulting can be really sucking).
The last and most important thing is the working climate for Foreigners, by which I mean Indians and Chinese, both of whom are very competitive!!! You have to suffer a great deal to obtain working visa in France so be careful!!

I can say so because I suffered here (in France) and will be leaving for a better country!! So think twice before you come here. France is a country of closed mind administratives! If you don't believe me then You will see yourself.

I cannot say how much the job situation will change after the elections of May 2012 BUT THINK THRICE before you come here!!
gig92

by vj0616 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:14 am
Hi Gig,

Which School did you study and which course?
Were you able to get a job?

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by gig92 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:49 pm
I am in sw and did a PhD here. However, the environment has changed mainly to due govt's policies in last 5 years (and to some extent due to financial crisis now). Some schools can be good but it's no guarantee that companies will even consider you for interviews as the govt is tightening "the screws". And, yeah I have been working here for few years now BUT I had my share of crap here already!! And, I am not pleased with it
gig92