Than I or Than Me?

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Than I or Than Me?

by danphan » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:16 am
I'm pretty sure this topic has been raised before but I can't seem to find it on the forums so if someone can answer it or perhaps link me to the relevant thread.

I was having a conversation and used "I hope you slept better than I". We began to discuss the proper usage of "than I" and "than me". We came to the conclusion that in the sentence I used "than I" was proper since "than" is a subjective conjunction between "you slept" and "I slept" (slept being left out for an idiomatic reason).

Could someone please explain to me what the GMAT test has to say on phrases/sentences that use "than I/me/pronoun"?

Legendary Member
Followed by:90 members

by Tani » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:37 am
https://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/th ... an-me.aspx

Grammar Girl has a great (if lengthy) explanation. Good luck!
Tani Wolff

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by danphan » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:54 am
I read that explanation before to try to find a definitive answer but the conclusion of the article supports use of "than" both, as a conjunction ("than I") and a preposition ("than me"), in certain sentence constructions. I want to know what GMAT would decide in an ambiguous sentence, such as "She is wiser than me" and "She is wiser than I". The article concludes that I can use either in this situation. I presume the GMAT will not be so forgiving.

Legendary Member
Followed by:90 members

by Tani » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:17 am
Your best bet is to find a couple of examples in the OG and see what GMAT specifically favors.
Tani Wolff