Psychologists

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Psychologists

by Deepthi Subbu » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:00 pm
Zelda: Dr. Ladlow, a research psychologist, has convincingly demonstrated that his theory about the determinants of rat behaviour generates consistently accurate predictions about how rats will perform in a maze. On the basis of this evidence Dr. Ladlow has claimed that his theory is irrefutably correct.

Anson: Then Dr. Ladlow is not responsible psychologist. Dr. Ladlow"Ÿs evidence does not conclusively prove that his theory is correct. Responsible psychologists always accept the possibility that new evidence will show that their theories are incorrect.
Which one of the following can be properly inferred from Anson"Ÿs argument?

(A) Dr. Ladlow"Ÿs evidence that his theory generates consistently accurate predictions about how rates will perform in a maze is inaccurate

(B) Psychologists who can derive consistently accurate predictions about how rats will perform in a maze from their theories cannot responsibly conclude that those theories cannot be disproved

(C) No matter how responsible psychologists are, they can never develop correct theoretical explanations.

(D) Responsible psychologists do not make predictions about how rats will perform in a maze

(E) Psychologists who accept the possibility that new evidence will show that their theories are incorrect are responsible psychologists.

OA after some discussion

by jaxis » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:05 pm
B is the right answer.

by Deepthi Subbu » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:13 pm
jaxis wrote:B is the right answer.
Can you please explain the reason for choosing B, which is the right answer though . My confusion is - the conclusion talks about responsible psychologist - 'Then Dr. Ladlow is not responsible psychologist.'

I was confused between B and E . Since E talks more about who should be called a responsible scientist , I chose E .
My question is since E is more of a generalised version , should we eliminate it?

by jaxis » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:34 pm
Deepthi,

E has tricky wording.

Question stem says " Responsible psychologists always accept the possibility that new evidence will show that their theories are incorrect."

People who are X accept Y

Lets look at E : "Psychologists who accept the possibility that new evidence will show that their theories are incorrect are responsible psychologists. "

People who accept Y are X. But some people who are not X can also accept Y in that case this agrgument may not be true.

by Deepthi Subbu » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:54 pm
jaxis wrote:Deepthi,

E has tricky wording.

Question stem says " Responsible psychologists always accept the possibility that new evidence will show that their theories are incorrect."

People who are X accept Y

Lets look at E : "Psychologists who accept the possibility that new evidence will show that their theories are incorrect are responsible psychologists. "

People who accept Y are X. But some people who are not X can also accept Y in that case this agrgument may not be true.
Great , I got the trick here . thank you

Legendary Member
Followed by:3 members

by diebeatsthegmat » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:12 pm
Deepthi Subbu wrote:Zelda: Dr. Ladlow, a research psychologist, has convincingly demonstrated that his theory about the determinants of rat behaviour generates consistently accurate predictions about how rats will perform in a maze. On the basis of this evidence Dr. Ladlow has claimed that his theory is irrefutably correct.

Anson: Then Dr. Ladlow is not responsible psychologist. Dr. Ladlow"Ÿs evidence does not conclusively prove that his theory is correct. Responsible psychologists always accept the possibility that new evidence will show that their theories are incorrect.

(A) Dr. Ladlow"Ÿs evidence that his theory generates consistently accurate predictions about how rates will perform in a maze is inaccurate

(B) Psychologists who can derive consistently accurate predictions about how rats will perform in a maze from their theories cannot responsibly conclude that those theories cannot be disproved

(C) No matter how responsible psychologists are, they can never develop correct theoretical explanations.

(D) Responsible psychologists do not make predictions about how rats will perform in a maze

(E) Psychologists who accept the possibility that new evidence will show that their theories are incorrect are responsible psychologists.

OA after some discussion
i checked several websites for the answer. some said its E, some said its B
what source is it from and whats the OA you get?

by Deepthi Subbu » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:13 pm
diebeatsthegmat wrote:
Deepthi Subbu wrote:Zelda: Dr. Ladlow, a research psychologist, has convincingly demonstrated that his theory about the determinants of rat behaviour generates consistently accurate predictions about how rats will perform in a maze. On the basis of this evidence Dr. Ladlow has claimed that his theory is irrefutably correct.

OA after some discussion
i checked several websites for the answer. some said its E, some said its B
what source is it from and whats the OA you get?
Source is aristotleprep and the OA thats given is B

Community Manager
Followed by:27 members
GMAT Score:670

by arora007 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:18 am
This is how i Eliminated between E and B.

E is strongly worded "new evidence will show"
I would have chosen E if the author had put in a milder word ,say "could"
https://www.skiponemeal.org/
https://twitter.com/skiponemeal
Few things are impossible to diligence & skill.Great works are performed not by strength,but by perseverance

pm me if you find junk/spam/abusive language, Lets keep our community clean!!