780 (M51, V48), BTG, I did it!

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:780

780 (M51, V48), BTG, I did it!

by nazar7ft » Fri May 28, 2010 3:40 am
Hi all,

I can't believe it, but I did it. I was a silent reader of this forum. Special thanks go to all the EXPERTS who are helping the test takers like me. Special thanks are also due to the founder of this forum. Heartiest thanks must be conveyed to all the debrief writers who are doing the BIG task of inspiration to the test takers.

What I have done to score 780:

Materials:

1. All OG's:10, 11, and 12, and Quant and verbal Reviews.
2. Official test, GMATPREP tests.
3. GMAT sets (There are 31 verbal sets, though there are some wrong answers.)
4. Paper tests.
5. LSAT materials. (RC+CR )
6. 1000 SC.
7. Ultimate GMAT tool kit.
8. Ace the GMAT
9. NOVA GMAT.
10. Manhattan SC guide.

Reading:

I have studied these materials in the following sequence:
7+8+9+4+1+10+6+3+5+2

Error Log:

I have maintained error logs that are all in my note book. It is hard copy. I have purchased 1000 pages, and I have made a BIG note book. I wrote all new concepts in that note book. Every time I go to read I revise them.

I have written explanations of all the OG SC explanation in my mother language. It helped me a lot.

My Test Scores:

GMATPREP01: Before beginning preparation: 510 (M46, V21)
GMATPREP01: After studying for 2 months 740 (M50, V38)
GMATPREP02: Before Two weeks of real test 770 (M51, V46)

Hope for the worst, but try for the BEST.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by narisipalli » Fri May 28, 2010 6:03 am
Awesome, Congratulations.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:700

by asamaverick » Fri May 28, 2010 6:31 am
That's a terrific score nazar7ft. Congrats!! The hard work that you must have put in really shows in the gradual improvement in your test scores.
All the best for your apps now. Do keep sharing your progress on this site.

On a different note, can you share with us your percentile on the actual test?

Cheers!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by Troika » Fri May 28, 2010 6:46 am
Congrats! Wish you all the best.

Legendary Member
Followed by:4 members

by uwhusky » Fri May 28, 2010 7:12 am
That's amazing! Can you tell us more about the time you spent with each material and the reason why you chose that particular sequence? Did you record any progress report between the books you were studying? How would you rank the effectiveness of each book? What was the biggest improvement between your first GMATPrep and second GMATPrep? How similar/different do you find the real GMAT to be in comparison to GMATPrep? What was your regiment for the last 2 weeks before the test?

Sorry for the series of questions, but I am very intrigued =).

by youven » Fri May 28, 2010 8:39 am
Awesome! Congrats man!

Can you please tell me where i can find the "GMAT sets (There are 31 verbal sets)"

and which NOVA book are you referring to?

thanks
nazar7ft wrote:Hi all,

I can't believe it, but I did it. I was a silent reader of this forum. Special thanks go to all the EXPERTS who are helping the test takers like me. Special thanks are also due to the founder of this forum. Heartiest thanks must be conveyed to all the debrief writers who are doing the BIG task of inspiration to the test takers.

What I have done to score 780:

Materials:

1. All OG's:10, 11, and 12, and Quant and verbal Reviews.
2. Official test, GMATPREP tests.
3. GMAT sets (There are 31 verbal sets, though there are some wrong answers.)
4. Paper tests.
5. LSAT materials. (RC+CR )
6. 1000 SC.
7. Ultimate GMAT tool kit.
8. Ace the GMAT
9. NOVA GMAT.
10. Manhattan SC guide.

Reading:

I have studied these materials in the following sequence:
7+8+9+4+1+10+6+3+5+2

Error Log:

I have maintained error logs that are all in my note book. It is hard copy. I have purchased 1000 pages, and I have made a BIG note book. I wrote all new concepts in that note book. Every time I go to read I revise them.

I have written explanations of all the OG SC explanation in my mother language. It helped me a lot.

My Test Scores:

GMATPREP01: Before beginning preparation: 510 (M46, V21)
GMATPREP01: After studying for 2 months 740 (M50, V38)
GMATPREP02: Before Two weeks of real test 770 (M51, V46)

Hope for the worst, but try for the BEST.

by nazar7ft » Fri May 28, 2010 9:12 am
asamaverick wrote:That's a terrific score nazar7ft. Congrats!! The hard work that you must have put in really shows in the gradual improvement in your test scores.
All the best for your apps now. Do keep sharing your progress on this site.

On a different note, can you share with us your percentile on the actual test?

Cheers!
M51 (98%)
V48 (99%)
Total 780 (99%)

by nazar7ft » Fri May 28, 2010 9:15 am
youven@

Thanks.

You can get the NOVA GMAT on the 4shared.com.

You will search by the title "NOVA GMAT". You will get the book in pdf format.

Thanks again.

by youven » Fri May 28, 2010 9:30 am
nazar7ft wrote:youven@

Thanks.

Thanks again.
ok cool. sorry for asking again, but how about the GMAT sets (31 verbal sets)?

by nazar7ft » Fri May 28, 2010 9:31 am
uwhusky wrote:That's amazing!
Can you tell us more about the time you spent with each material and the reason why you chose that particular sequence?

=> I started my GMAT journey one year ago. I have been studying GMAT slowly. I have studied seriously for three months. For your information, I have read unofficial books as introductory materials. Those books did nothing but to introduce what is GMAT, what is tested in GMAT, how to approach a particular question, and how should one go ahead.

Did you record any progress report between the books you were studying?

=> I did not maintain any particular progress report, but I have noted every new thing, which has helped me in my prep.

How would you rank the effectiveness of each book?

=> I would recommend official guides (all guides) and Manhattan GMAT SC. GMAT sets are good for practice. 1000 SC's are also good for practice. I have solved 40-45 LSAT RC's and 500 LSAT CR's.

What was the biggest improvement between your first GMATPrep and second GMATPrep?

=> I was good at mathematics from my high school. After attempting the GMATPREP for the first time, I have realized that my prep should be focused on verbal. I have read lots of things. It did not come by night. I would read science daily, New York Times, and caustic articles from wikipedia.

How similar/different do you find the real GMAT to be in comparison to GMATPrep?

=> Real GMAT math is very similar to GMATPREP, but verbal section of real GMAT is more critical than that of GMATPREP.

What was your regiment for the last 2 weeks before the test?

=> For the last two weeks, I have studied my note that was prepared on the basis of different expert's comment on different forums and on the basis of OG's.

Sorry for the series of questions, but I am very intrigued =).
=> No, it's ok.

by nazar7ft » Fri May 28, 2010 9:34 am
youven wrote:
nazar7ft wrote:youven@

Thanks.

Thanks again.
ok cool. sorry for asking again, but how about the GMAT sets (31 verbal sets)?
pm me your e-mail, I will attach you those gmat sets.
thanks.

by youven » Fri May 28, 2010 9:48 am
awesome mate. please check pm.

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by gmat_perfect » Fri May 28, 2010 10:04 am
Amazing score!!

Would you please answer my question?

1. Was there permutation and combination question in quant section.
2. What about probability question?
3. How have you managed your verbal time? Would you please share any tips for managing verbal time?

Thanks for answer.

by gmat-10 » Sun May 30, 2010 11:36 am
Nazar:
Greatttttttttt!!!!!!!!!!! You just did it!!!!!! How many practice tests you did? Your starting was pretty much like mine.
Can you please post your error log on this forum so we can really learn what general mistakes people make between getting score ranging from 500s and 780?

-Did you repeated the MBA.com's GMATPrep test?

-If yes then how many times you did GMATPrep te
st?

-Did you really followed LSAT methodology of RC and CR where you find Premise, conclusion and assumption in a very detailed way unlike GMAT? or you just followed LSAT methods while working on LSAT but not on GMAT? Please make it clear. Did you applied all those LSAT things such as negation, contra-positive, logical opposite or you just practiced with LSAT and didn't apply those things in GMAT passages and CR.

-How did you handle the sentence correction section? Can you put some details on this apart from ManhttanGMAT SC book?

- Some people have benefited with grammar books in past such s Max Morenberg's Grammar, did you take any of those?

by nazar7ft » Mon May 31, 2010 3:11 am
gmat-10 wrote:Nazar:
Greatttttttttt!!!!!!!!!!! You just did it!!!!!! How many practice tests you did? Your starting was pretty much like mine.
Can you please post your error log on this forum so we can really learn what general mistakes people make between getting score ranging from 500s and 780?

=> My error log is a hard copy. I have written all new things in a note book, which can not be posted.

-Did you repeated the MBA.com's GMATPrep test?

=> Yes, I have attempted Every test 5 times.

-If yes then how many times you did GMATPrep te
st?

-Did you really followed LSAT methodology of RC and CR where you find Premise, conclusion and assumption in a very detailed way unlike GMAT? or you just followed LSAT methods while working on LSAT but not on GMAT? Please make it clear. Did you applied all those LSAT things such as negation, contra-positive, logical opposite or you just practiced with LSAT and didn't apply those things in GMAT passages and CR.

=> LSAT RC passages are longer than those of GMAT. The patterns of question have a little bit difference, but practicing LSAT RC will increase your reading habit and attacking styles. LSAT CR's are good for practice. The structure of LSA CR's is nice. GMAT CR's are unnecessarily wordy. LSAT CR's follow the standard rule of logic. If any one practice LSAT CR's, he/she will feel comfort in GMAT CR's.
-How did you handle the sentence correction section? Can you put some details on this apart from ManhttanGMAT SC book?

- Some people have benefited with grammar books in past such s Max Morenberg's Grammar, did you take any of those?
=> What I would suggest is to practice. For example, if a man reads theories on how to make 6's and 4's in the cricket field, he may be out making zero runs. A bats man needs net practice to do well. So, the more you practice, the more you become efficient to solve anything. I think most of the grammar knowledge required for solving SC is known to every one.
You are not required to read lots of grammar books.

Thanks.