NOISE IN THE TEST CENTER

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

NOISE IN THE TEST CENTER

by marlboro » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:44 pm
I've got a friend who did the test in Manchester Salford and told me that the center room was noisy.
He told me that there were people doing other exams (not gmat) and that he even heard laughs.

I FIND THIS ABSOLUTELY ASHAMING. Are not the test center STAFF supposed to be professional?

DOES ANYBODY KNOW IF I CAN BRING MY OWN EARPLUGS? Some people say that they offer you earplugs in the test center
but I would be more comfortable with mine.

Moreover, realizing the non-professionality of Pearson Test Centers maybe they will just say that the earplugs are all gone and that's it.

I JUST ASK FOR RESPECT FOR US (GMAT TESTTAKERS) WHO HAVE BEEN STUDYING LOTS OF HOURS NOT TO LOOSE CONCENTRATION IN STUPID THINGS.

ANY SUGGESTION, ADVICE, EXPERIENCE (POSITIVE TOO PLEASE) ETC????[/i]

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members
GMAT Score:740

by karanrulz4ever » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:49 pm
Fortunately for me, I didn't have to go through such things at the test center. The people there were very professional and helpful in both my takes of the test. You cannot bring your ear plugs. The ones they offer are unused before and of good quality.

Legendary Member
Followed by:4 members

by uwhusky » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:49 pm
Wow calm down.

They won't allow you to bring anything unless GMAC has previously approved the item(s).

As for noise level, sometime things are beyond the control of even the staff, such as other test takers making noises. It is what it is. You can try to raise your hand to bring the complaint to the attention of the staff, but don't expect much.

Tens and thousands of GMAT are administered every year, and majority of them are taken without issue. Your friend might run into a rare exception, don't sweat it.
Yep.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members
GMAT Score:770

by David@VeritasPrep » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:48 pm
I usually agree with uwhusky on most things. But in this case, I would say, calm down, but be ready for anything and do your research!

I have heard of all the horror stories out there and the different policies of the different test centers.

Some test centers will allow you to use your own earplugs. Some test centers will not. That is something for you to investigate - I am sure that if you go to the center and ask they will tell you.

Also, some test centers have disposable earplugs - as mentioned. Others have the large headphones that look like you are landing a plane. I have had both.

It is true that most test takers do not have a horrible experience but some do. I have had a couple of interesting ones myself and have heard from students of many, many more.

Personally on the GRE test I was next to Mr. "Loud Typist" I think he hit the space bar with his elbows. I had not practiced with the headphones and when I put them on it was bad. One thing you want to do is go somewhere that has a modest level of noise like a public library and try one half of a Quant section with earplugs and one-half without. Which is better for you?

The last time I took the test in Boston I had to, and I am not kidding - true story, I had to ask the proctor to be quite!! He was telling jokes with his friend and when I found myself waiting for the punchline I knew it was too much. So I rolled my chair over and shushed him. He was embarrassed!

Other stories include the lady who cursed after every question - one of my students had the joy of that one. The jack hammering construction in the building - I read that one on BTG. And so forth.

Most recently I had some of my LSAT students suffer through a cell phone going off repeatedly (For that test the cell phones are placed at the sides of the rooms so no one knew whose phone it was!!!) Great stuff - unless it happens to you.

So what does that add up to? Probably slightly less than perfect conditions with a fair chance that it will be loud enough that you need the earplugs and the remote possibility of a parade on the street outside or construction in the building.

Practice with the earplugs and you should be fine!
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:760

by MFaulkner » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:19 pm
I need complete silence when taking tests. Even without any abnormal sounds in the test center, 20 people typing in the AWA section can be quite distracting.

The test center I've been to did not allow me to bring in my own earplugs (I brought some and asked), however, they did offer their own disposable earplugs that were just as good as my own. I made sure to ask for a new pair before each section. This was not a problem.

I assume that most test centers will have these disposable earplugs. If you're anxious about it, call them and ask. But to conclude, if you ask for a fresh pair of earplugs from the proctor before each section I think you'll be okay. They really do drown out just about everything!