Need advice on how to raise 630 to 680 in 2 weeks

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi,

I need major help! I have already taken the GMAT twice and I am taking it in 2 weeks for the last time. I would really like to get a 680 or higher, so I wanted some advice on what to study to increase my score. My score was a 570 the first time (32q 35v) and 630 (41q, 35v) this lat time.
I have been using manhattan tests and guides along with the official GMAT book. The week before the test I was scoring 42-45 in quant on manhattan Practice cats but when in took a GMAT prep test I scored much lower 39-42 in quant. I have taken all the manhattan practice test and also all the GMAT prep tests.
Do you have any suggestion of how I can proceed? I really need to raise my score and I know I can do it, I am soo close!
Thank you in advance for all your help!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members
GMAT Score:740

by karanrulz4ever » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:03 pm
What have you been doing since the last test where you scored a 630? Considering you scored 39 in verbal and 42 in quant, your score should be around 650. So 630 isnt a huge deviation. Improving 50 points in 2 weeks involves some studying and huge luck, to be frank. But there is no reason why you cant. Study well for the next 11-12 days, relax the day before the test. Give the GMAT prep twice in this duration. Be positive and go for the test. Best of luck.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:740

by humblebee » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:45 pm
Without knowing the specifics of your strength and weakness, it would be improper for anyone to give any credible advice here. You provided us with some very general statements.

--Quant--
What areas are you struggling?
Is it a timing thing?
Is it your approach to question? (You a type a or type b person?)

--Verbal--
CR - you can ignore. too hard to improve
RC - are you taking notes? that helped me. beyond that, too hard to improve
SC - scope for improvement...topic by topic however

I would basically focus on either quant or verbal if I had two weeks and wanted to make a significant improvement. Perhaps the most significant piece of advice I can give you, is to not worry about it. I know it doesn't help given that you said it was the last time you were going to take this test; i think you're putting incredible stress on yourself by making this the be all end all. Last year I sat my GMAT once, flew back to Asia to do it on the very last day of 2009 becuase I really wanted to apply for business school that year. Screwd up got 650. This year, when I did it second time, got 600. Don't know what happened. But I booked in two more tests after. The third time I sat it, I didn't take it seriously, knowing this was a practice and I had another test after this. I used huge words in the AWA i wouldn't normally use, and I started taking notes for the first time in RC for the verbal section. I got 740. Yes luck played a part, but upon reflection, the other factor that played into this was the fact that I simply didnt care if i got a low score, i just wanted above 600.
wannabe business school consultant