Advice

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:740

Advice

by kadiep » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:12 pm
Hello,

Been browsing the forums for a few days now and already found some very useful and inspirational stuff. I recently got laid off from a job and figured it would be a good time to get cracking on my GMAT studies. Unlike many people on the forum, I'm actually planning on applying on MaCC programs rather than MBA programs. My top choices are UNC and USC. My undergrad gpa is somewhat low 3.02 so I figured I'll need around a 700 to remain competitive for these programs. I signed up for MGMAT's course which was suppose to start this past week but it got pushed back until Mid Jan. Since I have all the materials now and a lot of time, I was wondering if I should go through the all the books now before the course starts or studying using other materials.

I'm also wondering if I should take a practice test now to see where I'm at or brush up on the concepts before I start.

I've been putting in about 4 hours a day for the past 3 days. Should I do more than this or is too much studying actually counter-productive?

Just so you have an idea of my abilities:
SAT: 1280
GRE: 1130

Took both tests cold without prep. 3.02 was due to lack of motivation and never studying as an undergrad. I focused too much on "extracurriculars"

Thanks for the help, ya'll!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:52 members
GMAT Score:760

by rishi raj » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:49 pm
Even if the MGMAT course starts in January, I'd highly recommend that you start brushing up your concepts .This will help you build up a strong foundation by the time you start your classes. As a result, you'll be able to benefit from the classes greatly.
I think 4 hours in a day is more than enough and preparing for more than this may prove counter-productive. What you may want to do in your free time is try to apply the concepts you've learned.
For example, while writing emails , you may want to put all the SC rules into action. Similarly, a great way to develop good CR skills is to try to analyze the arguments when you have conversations with your friends,colleagues or when you read articles in the newspaper or magazine.Try to figure out assumptions,conclusions, flaws this way.
For RC, you may want to read as much as possible and from as varied sources as possible before you actually start practising passages.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by gointobeready » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:58 pm
Hello,

I have to start studying again myself. I took the MGMAT course. The highest score I recieved was 620 on one of their practice tests, if I remember correctly. So that's my background before I give you my advice.

Yes I would definitely definitely definitely go over all the MGMAT books prior to the class(when I took the course they told me not to...i shouldnt have listened(I'm speaking for me)). I would not necessarily start on the questions in the OG, but I would go over the concepts, as mentioned by Rishi above. BTW if I remember correctly, the course asks you to take the first test prior to the start of the course if I am not mistaken.

Rgds,
Anosh

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:740

by kadiep » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:30 pm
I just took my first practice exam today after one week of preparation averaging about 4 hours a day. Got a 650 (44Q/35V)!!!! I skipped the essays so the score might be a bit inflated.

I really hope my score isn't a fluke but this definitely serves as a motivator to keep prepping hard. With this information in mind, do ya'll have any tips for me?

I took the MGMAT CAT #1 (Free).