Electricity & Agriculture

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:47 members

Electricity & Agriculture

by komal » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:47 am
According to a prediction of the not-so-distant future published in 1940, electricity would revolutionize
agriculture. Electrodes would be inserted into the soil, and the current between them would kill bugs and weeds
and make crop plants stronger.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly indicates that the logic of the prediction above is flawed?

(A) In order for farmers to avoid electric shock while working in the fields, the current could be turned off at
such times without diminishing the intended effects.

(B) If the proposed plan for using electricity were put into practice, farmers would save on chemicals now
being added to the soil.

(e) It cannot be taken for granted that the use of electricity is always beneficial.

(D) Since weeds are plants, electricity would affect weeds in the same way as it would affect crop plants.

(E) Because a planting machine would need to avoid coming into contact with the electrodes, new parts for
planting machines would need to be designed

OA[spoiler] (D)[/spoiler]

Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

by money9111 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:08 am
I chose D... had it narrowed down to C & D. Can you tell me the exact reason why C is wrong?
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:760

by Osirus@VeritasPrep » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:10 am
money9111 wrote:I chose D... had it narrowed down to C & D. Can you tell me the exact reason why C is wrong?
C's irrelevant. It doesn't matter if electricity is useful or not useful in certain scenarios. The author only argues that it will be helpful in this scenario.
https://www.beatthegmat.com/the-retake-o ... 51414.html

Brandon Dorsey
GMAT Instructor
Veritas Prep

Buy any Veritas Prep book(s) and receive access to 5 Practice Cats for free! Learn More.

Legendary Member
Followed by:6 members

by harsh.champ » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:56 pm
komal wrote:According to a prediction of the not-so-distant future published in 1940, electricity would revolutionize
agriculture. Electrodes would be inserted into the soil, and the current between them would kill bugs and weeds
and make crop plants stronger.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly indicates that the logic of the prediction above is flawed?

(A) In order for farmers to avoid electric shock while working in the fields, the current could be turned off at
such times without diminishing the intended effects. - Neutral statement.Neither flawing nor supporting

(B) If the proposed plan for using electricity were put into practice, farmers would save on chemicals now
being added to the soil. - It further strengthens the statement,not flawing it.

(e) It cannot be taken for granted that the use of electricity is always beneficial. -Vague statement, Not explained specifically.

(D) Since weeds are plants, electricity would affect weeds in the same way as it would affect crop plants. - Thats because the plants would also be harmed and as such no benefit of electricity will be there.

(E) Because a planting machine would need to avoid coming into contact with the electrodes, new parts for
planting machines would need to be designed . - Useless,parts have nothing to do with the prediction.

OA[spoiler] (D)[/spoiler]
It takes time and effort to explain, so if my comment helped you please press Thanks button :)

Just because something is hard doesn't mean you shouldn't try,it means you should just try harder.

"Keep Walking" - Johnny Walker :P

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by findmimi » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:56 am
Sorry for digging this out. I agree D is the relatively the best answer amongst 5 choices.
However, doesnt it violate the GMAT principle in CR: "all premises are considered to be correct?"

I am getting all confused on how to approach these questions.

by findmimi » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:22 am
findmimi wrote:Sorry for digging this out. I agree D is the relatively the best answer amongst 5 choices.
However, doesnt it violate the GMAT principle in CR: "all premises are considered to be correct?"

Please please can someone pls clarify? Thanks a million.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:19 members

by rkanthilal » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:41 pm
findmimi wrote:Sorry for digging this out. I agree D is the relatively the best answer amongst 5 choices.

Hi findmimi,

There isn't a GMAT principle that states that "all premises are considered to be correct". Depending on the question, either the information in the passage is considered correct and the correct answer choice cannot contradict the passage, or the answers are considered correct and the correct answer choice can contradict the passage.

Generally speaking, you need to look at the question stem for guidance on what information is to be considered correct. For example, in this case the question stem is, "Which of the following, if true, most strongly indicates that the logic of the prediction above is flawed?" This clearly instructs you to assume that the answer choices are correct. Since we are assuming that the answer choices are true it is acceptable for the correct answer to be inconsistent with the passage.

Frequently in a "weaken" question the correct answer will contradict a premise of the argument. This passage states that the electrodes will "make crop plants stronger". Answer (D) implies that the electrodes will in fact harm crop plants. This answer attacks a premise on which the conclusion is based. If this answer is true the prediction that "electricity will revolutionize agriculture" is significantly weakened.

Other question stems will require you to assume that the information in the passage is correct. Here are a few examples:

"The statements above, if true, most support which of the following?"
"Which of the following inferences is most supported by the information above?"
"If the statements above are true, which one of the following must also be true?"

With these questions the correct answer must be consistent with the information in the passage.

Hope this helps...

by findmimi » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:11 pm
Perfect - thanks so much.