Pls suggest !

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Pls suggest !

by Malik_Jat » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:46 pm
Hey guys

Pls suggest how can I improve CR and kindly give a feedback about the BTG practice questios.
I got a 650 some time back(V48,Q32).

Regards
Malik

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:20 members

by Isaac@EconomistGMAT » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:49 pm
That is a big general question.

First thing you need to do is become familiar with the base techniques of figuring out the different kinds of conclusions and premises, and the assumptions. Once you are comfortable with those, it is time to move on to the question types. Learn to differentiate the different question types as they ask you to do very different things. There are over 9 of them and each has its own little technique as well as traps to avoid and useless information to filter out.

Learn one question type at a time, practice on such questions then move on. Once you have them under your belt start practicing on all question types so that you get used to knowing how to tell them apart. Always remember your base of figuring out your conclusion, premises, and assumptions and apply the knowledge to what the question is asking you to do. This may seem obvious, but for many it is not. Don't be afraid to take notes as well as this helps you focus and organize your thoughts.

What I have given you are very general guidelines. You will now have to start looking for information on the techniques (which is a bit too big a topic to include here obviously!)- remember: Start with learning how to break down the argument properly; without this, not much improvement and success will take place.
Isaac Bettan
Academic Director
Master GMAT
https://econgm.at/EconomistGMAT
[youtube]QBNZczg84tU[/youtube]

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by purnimaksingh » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:21 pm
Malik_Jat wrote:Hey guys

Pls suggest how can I improve CR and kindly give a feedback about the BTG practice questios.
I got a 650 some time back(V48,Q32).

Regards
Malik
I think CR bible by PowerScore is a good book, its has total 14 chapters, and conceptuallly exapains each of the 10 question types (Must be true, main point, assumption, strengthn, weaken, reslove the pardox etx). But its just a book for concepets does not have a lot of practice question, each question type has 5 question at the end. But too good for concepts

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:52 members
GMAT Score:760

by rishi raj » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:53 am
In addition to the good ways suggested by the people above,one interesting way to improve your critical reasoning ability is to try applying the critical reasoning concepts in your daily life . Listen to the arguments(especially biased ones) of people and then ask yourself the conclusion, premises in those arguments. Ask yourself what is the underlying assumption or flaw in an argument or what inference can you draw from an argument. Once you're able to identify all these things when you're NOT particularly preparing for the GMAT ,then you'll see that you're able to tackle CR concepts better!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Malik_Jat » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:12 am
Thanks a lot Isaac, purnima and Rishi :)

Guys pls also enlighten about the BTG questions. Most of quant questions that i ve got are easy or average (be it any section PS or esp DS !). Are the BTG ques tough enough cuz what we get to face in real GMAT are rather good ones and i want to have similar experience while practicing.

Thanks a ton !
Malik :evil: