Before the storm...

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Before the storm...

by BellTheGMAT » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:01 pm
Before the storm destroyed much of the harbor, this town, with its sandy beaches and multiple opportunities for sports, had been one of the most popular resort destinations on the East Coast.
A. had been
B. has been
C. had been being
D. was being
E. was

OA after some discussion...
How to decide, past perfect or simple past tense to use?

Legendary Member
Followed by:7 members

by selango » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:18 am
Before in the original sentence is enough to maintain the time sequence.Hence we don't need past perfect to define the time sequence.

So simple past tense 'was' is enough.
--Anand--

by BellTheGMAT » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:58 am
selango wrote:Before in the original sentence is enough to maintain the time sequence.Hence we don't need past perfect to define the time sequence.

Thanks, OA is E

by BellTheGMAT » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:17 am
selango wrote:Before in the original sentence is enough to maintain the time sequence.Hence we don't need past perfect to define the time sequence.

Hey,
Wats your take on this....

According to a recent study of sexual behaviour in the US, over half of the couples that were married and engaged at the time of the study's survey were living together before making a final commitment to eachother.

A - couples that were married and engaged at the time of the study's survey were living
B - couples that were engaged or married at the time of the sutdy's survey had lived
C - couples who were engaged or married at the time when the study's survey occured were living
D - married and engaged couples at the time of the study's survey had lived
E - married or engaged couples at the time of the study's survey were living

Source <Kaplan>

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:640

by limestone » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:53 am
BellTheGMAT wrote:

Hey,

According to a recent study of sexual behaviour in the US, over half of the couples that were married and engaged at the time of the study's survey were living together before making a final commitment to eachother.

A - couples that were married and engaged at the time of the study's survey were living
B - couples that were engaged or married at the time of the sutdy's survey had lived
C - couples who were engaged or married at the time when the study's survey occured were living

Source <Kaplan>
IMO: B

"before making a final commitment to each other" so the past perfect must be used. Thus eliminated A,C,E.

B and D remain.

"married and engaged couples" is inappropriate. Some couples marry without engaging.
So "were engaged or married" is better. Hence, eliminate D.

Thus B should be the answer.
At first I chose E, but rethought and took B.
"There is nothing either good or bad - but thinking makes it so" - Shakespeare.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by gmat62k10 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:41 am
Although B is correct for tenses but I am not sure "that" can refer to people in GMAT

Legendary Member
Followed by:4 members

by uwhusky » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:49 am
I didn't like the OA, so I did some search.

https://www.beatthegmat.com/present-perf ... 49438.html
Yep.

by BellTheGMAT » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:32 pm
BellTheGMAT wrote:

Hey,

Source <Kaplan>
I personnaly felt C as answer - "who" used for couples, "or" used to seperate engaged and married... "were living" used which referes to activity in past.
Any further insight how to decide??

Also, kindly quote the SC which you are referring, as there r 2 SC in this topict....

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:45 members
GMAT Score:760

by Jim@Grockit » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:04 pm
uwhusky wrote:I didn't like the OA, so I did some search.

https://www.beatthegmat.com/present-perf ... 49438.html
I think maybe not everyone read the link, but it's really worth reading, even if it makes some things more confusing.

I don't have the citation handy, but I'm almost positive there's a OG sentence with both a "time marker" and a past perfect tense verb. I should really find that one (if I didn't dream it).

Important point: it's not wrong to use the past perfect even when there's a time marker, like Even though we had visited Canada four years ago, we still went back on our vacation last year.

Legendary Member
Followed by:4 members

by uwhusky » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:13 pm