Non- EU nationals job prospects after MBA from UK

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:1 members
Hi ,

I am a bit converned abt issues like Non- EU nationals are being discrimanated for job offers.

Is any one aware about this situation ? I heard that there is lot of pressure from European Union that Jobs should first go to EU nationals. The left-Over should be offered to others.

Indian Doctors have been targetted, that I know for sure. Is the situation same for Indians doing MBA from UK ?

Any discussion on this topic will help me decide my future.

Thanks and Regards,

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by parore26 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:53 am
At present UK has a provision to let graduates of certain MBA programs to gain the status of permanent residency. You can search for the Highly Skilled Migrant Programme (HSMP) to get a list of these schools. This provision is currently being reviewed and may not be available in two years time.

I'm not quite sure about discrimination in the UK. I spent four months working in London and loved every bit of it. I will most likely settle there in the future. About Indian doctors, you're ignoring one piece of crucial information. In the 1960's and 1970's countries such as UK and US faced a severe shortage of medical practitioners. Subsequently it became very easy for doctors trained in India to migrate. At present there are a larger number of qualified doctors and hence the demand for foreign or Indian doctors has reduced. This is what some of my relatives in the medical profession tell me.

Regarding the overall attitudes, Immigration is currently a hot button issue in almost all the developed countries. The current US Immigration system is a far cry from the open borders that once helped this country grow. The French, German, Italians and Spanish have always been protectionist countries, preferring to provide opportunities to their citizens before any of their immigrants. Recently, Germany introduced a green card system, that is considered by some as a progressive measure.

Some of the other countries such as Switzerland and Austria have a very protectionist stance on Immigration, and they continue to remain as such. Netherlands, which had one of the most liberal immigration system, due to recent events such as the murder/assasination of Theo Van Gogh and Pim Fortuyn have deeply polarised many in Netherlands leading to stricter immigration controls. Scandinavian countries continue to experience normal levels of immigration but I think these countries are not for everyone. Their climate is very different from what most people are used to and their societal system is also very unique from most other countries.

My point of this long-winded post is to simply tell you that question of discrimination/immigration is not a black-or-white solution and a lot of countries are still grappling with it. So do your research. IMD, IESE, HEC and INSEAD receive a lot of applications from Indian applicants. So you'd think that if discrimination was that apparent people would stop applying there.

Disclaimer: Everything stated here is an opinion. I'd also like to confess that I'm an anglo-euro-phile so I may have been a little easier on the Euro countries. Finally, I'm an Indian who has been living in the US for the past 8 years.