How to interpret GMATPrep score?

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

How to interpret GMATPrep score?

by mshameen » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:50 am
Hi,

I took the first GMATPrep test. At the end of the exam, it gave me the results as follows -
Q(37) - 14 wrong
V(41) - 16 wrong
It did not give me a GMAT kind of a score based on the percentile. I wonder how everyone on this forum talks about a score from the GMATPrep test software, because I cant find one. How do I calculate my score for this diagnostic test?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members
GMAT Score:770

by David@VeritasPrep » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:23 pm
On the same screen that gave you your Quant and Verbal scores you should have had an overall 200 - 800 score as well.

The problem with the GMATPrep is that you see score once, on one screen, and then it goes away. Normally people forget to write down their scaled Quant and Verbal breakdown scores, which you remembered to record.

Luckily, The scores that you have submitted are more useful than the overall score.

You can check the percentiles for those scores. If you have written these down correctly, the Quant is the 51st percentile and the Verbal is the 92nd percentile. Overall those scores would land you in the lower 600s not over 650.

Your scaled scores should help you to focus your studies!

Hope that helps...
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by mshameen » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:04 am
Thank you for the response. Where can I find the percentile mapping to the score, that you have mentioned?I mean, how did you map 23 correct on Quants to 51 percentile and 25 correct on Verbal to 92 percentile?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members
GMAT Score:770

by David@VeritasPrep » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:12 pm
The score is not determined only by the number that you got correct. There are various scores that can and have been obtained from 23 correct answers on the Quant. The score that you gave - the scaled scores - are the ones that translate to the percentiles. You can find the chart at MBA.com and in any of the official guides.

Remember that this is an adaptive test so there are not 37 set questions on Quant. and therefore it is the scaled score that indicates the percentiles.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course