cent

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

cent

by jainrahul1985 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:39 am
Manufacturers issue cents-off coupons to get consumers to try their brand of product with the hope that the consumers who try their brand will switch their brand loyalty. So in the initial marketing of their new brand X, Hartman Industries should issue cents-off coupons, thereby attracting a large segment of potential consumers as loyal customers.

Which of the following, if true, casts the most serious doubt on the likelihood that the marketing strategy recommended above will have the result that is claimed?

(A) Many consumers are unlikely to try new brands of products unless offered an inducement to do so.
(B) The consumers whose purchases are strongly influenced by cents-off coupons tend not to become loyal customers of any particular brand.
(C) Many grocery stores attract customers by doubling the face value of manufacturer's coupons.
(D) Typically less than one-third of the coupons issued by a manufacturer are redeemed by consumers.
(E) A marketing campaign that uses cents-off coupons is most effective when combined with a television advertising campaign

Why is the OA B

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by ashish2104 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:56 am
Hartman Industries wants to attract large customers in a hope to make the loyal.

B rightly points out that those who redeem the coupouns, do not become loyal customers.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:74 members
GMAT Score:770

by Whitney Garner » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:04 am
Received a PM asking me to respond. Don't see a source. Please cite the source (author) of the problem so I can respond!
Whitney Garner
GMAT Instructor & Instructor Developer
Manhattan Prep

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Math is a lot like love - a simple idea that can easily get complicated :)

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Dangerous Dude » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:53 am
I go with: B

As the customers who are getting attracted are not loyal. Hence it is negating the conclusion