Career Change Considered a Gap?

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Career Change Considered a Gap?

by Cinji18 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:02 am
Last year, I made a drastic change in careers from being a salaried engineer to a freelance screenwriter. Unfortunately, I have yet to make significant income as a screenwriter. I personally see this as just a career change and I am fully employed, but because there is no salary, will adcom see this as a gap in employment? Is this something I need to explain in the optional essay?

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:31 members
GMAT Score:620

by Kaneisha Grayson » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:22 am
Hi Cinji18,

First of all a huge CONGRATULATIONS to you on pursuing your dream of being a screenwriter. That's awesome! Once I got to business school, I developed the audacious goal to be a lifestyle entrepreneur, writer, documentary filmmaker, and talk show hostess (yes, all of those things) and Harvard was nothing but 100% supportive. Now, all that support came once I was part of the Harvard family, but I wanted to share that tidbit, because I was so impressed and encouraged by Harvard Career Services, my professors, and my classmates.

Yes, you need to explain your decision to make such a drastic career change--either in your optional essay or in one of the regular essays--but the AdCom is not going to chuck your app in the trash can and say, "He's just another unemployed person applying to business school." First of all, it should be listed on your resume as a position, where you list your tasks, results thus far, etc. Even if you haven't earned significant income yet, it is your full-time job.

You may also want to consider incorporating yourself as a business (https://freelanceswitch.com/the-business ... ed-to-ask/) --kind of like "You, Inc." It is a common practice among freelancers and may make sense for you as well as help demonstrate your seriousness as pursuing this as a career and sustainable enterprise.

Go you!
Kaneisha
Harvard Business School MBA 2010, Harvard Kennedy School MPA 2010
Founder, The Art of Applying
Admissions Consulting for MBA, MPP, Joint Degrees, and Fellowships
https://theartofapplying.com

Want free advice that actually works? Sign up for my weekly MBA, MPP, and JD newsletter here: https://theartofapplying.com/newsletter/

My clients have earned over $3.1 million in fellowships from Harvard and other top MBA, MPP, and JD programs since 2010.

Followed by:42 members
GMAT Score:740

by Jessica@VeritasPrep » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:27 am
I would also add that it is important to talk about the skills gained in this position that will help you succeed in business school and beyond.

As an Adcom member, I wouldn't look at it as a career gap but I might have concerns about why a screen writer (and a relatively new one) would want to go to business school. You'll need a cohesive story about why business school is a necessary next step in your career and how/why/if screenwriting fits into this.
Jessica
Veritas Prep

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options