GMAT just killed me - I need to beat the damn thing

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hello Everyone!

I gave my GMAT this morning and got the worst score possible, My score in the practice tests were in the range of 560-590, but I got 510 -- it definitely sucks! Quant 39 and Verbal - 22.

I am feeling so ashamed to even mention this score but I want to do well and beat the GMAT - I have to get over this depression and start studying again.

I need your help in formulating a plan so that I can get out of this low scoring zone and score high next time. I am looking at 2 month effort and than give the exam again in December - I also work full time so time can be challenging on weekdays.

Verbal - how should I increase my score - any advice guys? Can you share some strategies which have worked for you? I am not a native speaker but I thought my English was good. I am getting killed in SC 30% right, CR I get 50% right and RC I get 60 %.
I know I need to improve Verbal to get even close to 600.

QUANT - Any strategies here??? One mistake I did was that I was not comfortable with Probability and combinatorics. I am also facing challenges in Number Properties.

Any suggestions / advice / criticism / will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Vishal

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:710

by gmatmachoman » Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:36 pm
Vishal,

I suggest u enroll in a Prep program . My Pick will be Knewton+grockit+ e-gmat for SC+OG12+MGMAT6test+30 GMAT test will do for u to get 740!

If u dont get, ask me bro!!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:730

by 007.r.mason » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:44 pm
Vishal,

I would recommend a step by step improvement process. First focus on quant for the first 15 days and improve your quant score to 45+. Then focus on SC for the next 10 days and improve your SC accuracy to 70%. Then repeat the same with CR and RC. this should allow you to get your scaled score up to 77-80 or your total score up to 650 range in about a month.

From then on, you can focus on selective areas to improve your score in quant, CR or RC.

Regarding the prep material; I would recommend MGMAT or Knewton for Quant, e-GMAT for SC. MGMAT and e-GMAT for CR.

I hope that this helps
Aim high!!
Achieve excellence!!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by gsbjake » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:42 pm
Vishal,

I would also recommend a step by step process man. I went through a similar situation last year and have since prepared for the GMAT in a completely different way. I'm taking it again in only a few days and feel much, much more confident. Just remember, it's only one attempt. All you have to do is study again and you'll do much better. PM me if you have any questions.

JL

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Avataar » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:47 am
Hi There,

Thank you everyone for replying back. My appologies for the delayed response - It took me a week to over come the GMAT debacle and I did not wanted to see books or any website for a while.

I have MGMAT books and I have joined KNEWTON online course. that is for sure that I have to change my approach this time from what I was doing last time as it did not work.

On the positive note- I have a basic iunderstanding of the material and now I need to build upon it.

These are some of the mistakes I did last time
* did not memorize the material in SC and Quant - I though practice will make me learn things - I know that was a misatke
* Though I had joined knewton, I was not up to par with the course. Quant was easier for me as I focussed more on it - verbal killed me.
* did not finish OG 12 - finished 50% of quant pronlems and 20% of verbal.
* Now i see I was not prepared for the exam.
* I need to study at least 2 hours daily - that is not happening.

I would appreciate any advice you guys give me.

thanks [/list]

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:680

by beatthegmatinsept » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:04 pm
On the positive note- I have a basic iunderstanding of the material and now I need to build upon it.

These are some of the mistakes I did last time
* did not memorize the material in SC and Quant - I though practice will make me learn things - I know that was a misatke
Memorizing all the rules can be a task. For Quant, I practiced a lot! Make sure you maintain an Error Log when you attempt OG questions. I remember I always got the remainder and compound interest questions wrong, mainly because I couldn't remember the formulas. By miantaining an Error Log, you can make notes next to the questions you get wrong and make sure you don't repeat those mistakes.

For SC, I would recommend enrolling in the https://www.e-GMAT.com . It's easy and fun to learn and makes memorizing the infinite number of formulas easier.

* Though I had joined knewton, I was not up to par with the course. Quant was easier for me as I focussed more on it - verbal killed me. I have not used Knewton at all. For practicing questions, I would recommend Grockit. I am not a fan, but they are good for practice when you run out of the OG's.
* did not finish OG 12 - finished 50% of quant pronlems and 20% of verbal. You got that already. I would recommend attempting OG 12 questions twice. Make sure you understand every single question in the book. The day before my GMAT, I was at Applebees' Happy Hour, going thru OG 12 questions, and was able to say "I know exactly how to attempt this question", without solving it! That's how you need to feel about the OG!
* Now i see I was not prepared for the exam.
* I need to study at least 2 hours daily - that is not happening. It's hard specially if you already have a full time job. I used to attempt 10-20 OG questions during Lunch time and put in a couple hours after I got home from work. It's like you have nothing else in your life other than the GMAT.
Being defeated is often only a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent.

Legendary Member
Followed by:4 members

by uwhusky » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:09 am
I do not recommend Applebee's the night before the test, in fact, I do not recommend Applebee's, period!
Yep.