Cracking 'assumptions' related CR questions

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Cracking 'assumptions' related CR questions

by Auzbee » Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:39 pm
Hi All,
I am interested in knowing what strategies do you use to crack assumption based CR questions? Do you co-relate the assumptions given in the options with the conclusion and see if it helps or do you also co-relate the assumption with the premises?

Any tips and tricks would be most useful. Or just even your thoughts on how to attack such questions that worked best for you.

Thanks

by beingAndNothing » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:34 pm
Auzbee:

Here's what I try and look for.

Assumptions
Check if options fall in one of the following four categories.
- Feasibility,
- Fills in some logic gap,
- Eliminate Alternate Models,
- Causation,

For two close choices, try and use negation to eliminate the option which would not affect the conclusion. There are times when after all this I am still confused. More often than not, its usually because I misread something.

Strengthen
- Supports the assumption (a lot of cases i feel this is same as filling in some logic gap or
checking feasibility)
- Provide evidence that supports the conclusion (something concrete / something that
does not need assumptions)

Weaken
– Weaken a premise
- Add a counter premise

Most of what I've written is from MGMAT CR guide. Hope this is helpful.
thanks.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by deeps » Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:52 pm
does any one have a soft copy of MGMAT CR?

Auzbee wrote:Hi All,
I am interested in knowing what strategies do you use to crack assumption based CR questions? Do you co-relate the assumptions given in the options with the conclusion and see if it helps or do you also co-relate the assumption with the premises?

Any tips and tricks would be most useful. Or just even your thoughts on how to attack such questions that worked best for you.

Thanks
If it's an assumption based question , while i am reading the text i pay attention to the transition from evidence to conclusion and try to find out the assumption myself... without looking at answer choices. If i have found a solid assumption i just scan the answers to match what i have in mind... But sometimes the question is pretty straightforward and you won't be able to find an assumption ..in those cases look for answer choices that try to negate one of the evidences or premise given in the question....