Doubt in CR

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Doubt in CR

by gauravgundal » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:56 am
Delhi International Airport was once the busiest airport in the region, but two major airlines have relocated to nearby airports, reducing the number of fl‡ights in and out of Delhi by more than half. The gates at Delhi were built more than thirty years ago and cannot accommodate the largest modern aircraft. In an effort to bring in more business, Delhi officials plan to build dozens of gates to accommodate modern aircraft and offer reduced-rate leases to airlines willing to make long-term commitments.

Which of the following, if true, most threatens the planÂ’s likelihood of success?
(A) Most of the airlines operating out of nearby airports have long-term leases on gates at the other airports.
(B) The existing gates at Delhi rent at rates that are, on average, much lower than the proposed rates for the
new gates to be built there.
(C) Because of highway congestion and changing development patterns that make Delhi inconvenient to access, airline customers prefer to depart from other airports.
(D) Of the 25 airlines that serve Delhi or nearby airports, none serve more than one airport in the area.
(E) If the proposed addition is completed, Delhi will be the largest airport, as measured both by gates and square footage, in the region.

The argument has been modified to avoid any copyright issue.

[spoiler]
OA : C
IMO : A [/spoiler]

My take away: Plan = to build dozens of gates to accommodate modern aircraft and offer reduced-rate leases to airlines willing to make long-term commitments.

If there are more than one conclusion in the argument ,can we weaken the argument but weakening one of the conclusion. If my assumption is right ,please explain me the reason why answer choice A is wrong and C is right.

Why this argument is caring more about customers departure from other airports?

Please experts need your valuable comments.
I would be thankful if you clarify my doubt by explaining in the below given pattern.

Conclusion :
Plan:
How A/C effects the plan /conclusion?

Thanks

Followed by:1 members

by ov25 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:25 am
C: Correct. Tells that lower gate rents and/or incr # of gates may not exactly what the new airlines were looking for. Customer access to airport

A: On the other hand, Airlines may want to sign additional leases to increase business unless there is something that binds them to agree to only lease at a time in the region.

by this_time_i_will » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:19 am
we have to select the option, such that the option, if true, would not make the plan sucessful.

OBJECTIVE: To bring in new business at Delhi Airport.
PLAN: 1. to bring in more business by building many new gates and 2. by offering reduced lease rates.

A: So the arilines have long term agreements with other airports. But what if the reduced lease rate of Delhi airport is so less that
airlines may be tempted to break the agreements with other airports and come t Delhi Airport.

For e.g. let's say long term means 10 years and the long term agreement with other airport means INR 1000/- per year.
But Delhi Airport provides INR 500/- per year. great savings!!

This means that the proposed plan,which is reduced lease rates, of Delhi airport officials may work.

C: This gives a reason totally different from the plan. Bug gates are built. Reduced rates are offered.
But, passengers face great difficulty in reaching Airport. So inspite of the plan, airlines will not come to the Delhi Airport and
hence no increased business.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:45 members
GMAT Score:760

by Jim@Grockit » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:30 am
gauravgundal wrote:Delhi International Airport was once the busiest airport in the region, but two major airlines have relocated to nearby airports, reducing the number of fl‡ights in and out of Delhi by more than half. The gates at Delhi were built more than thirty years ago and cannot accommodate the largest modern aircraft. In an effort to bring in more business, Delhi officials plan to build dozens of gates to accommodate modern aircraft and offer reduced-rate leases to airlines willing to make long-term commitments.

Which of the following, if true, most threatens the planÂ’s likelihood of success?
(A) Most of the airlines operating out of nearby airports have long-term leases on gates at the other airports.
(B) The existing gates at Delhi rent at rates that are, on average, much lower than the proposed rates for the
new gates to be built there.
(C) Because of highway congestion and changing development patterns that make Delhi inconvenient to access, airline customers prefer to depart from other airports.
(D) Of the 25 airlines that serve Delhi or nearby airports, none serve more than one airport in the area.
(E) If the proposed addition is completed, Delhi will be the largest airport, as measured both by gates and square footage, in the region.

The argument has been modified to avoid any copyright issue.

[spoiler]
OA : C
IMO : A [/spoiler]

My take away: Plan = to build dozens of gates to accommodate modern aircraft and offer reduced-rate leases to airlines willing to make long-term commitments.

If there are more than one conclusion in the argument ,can we weaken the argument but weakening one of the conclusion. If my assumption is right ,please explain me the reason why answer choice A is wrong and C is right.

Why this argument is caring more about customers departure from other airports?

Please experts need your valuable comments.
I would be thankful if you clarify my doubt by explaining in the below given pattern.

Conclusion :
Plan:
How A/C effects the plan /conclusion?

Thanks
Choice A says most airlines already have long-term leases. Most isn't all, and of course there is nothing preventing an airline from having gates at more than one airport.

Choice C provides a reason why flights would not increase after building new gates. Remember, the issue was reduction in flights -- if customers won't fly into or out of the Delhi airport, even hundreds of gates and having the airport lease gates to airlines for free won't increase the amount of business.