Complete the passage

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:680

Complete the passage

by hitmis » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:19 am
Source Veritas :

Established companies often focus on defending the market they currently dominate. As a result, they tend not to focus resources on potential new markets and tend to underestimate or ignore shifts in market dynamics. A clear case of this inward-looking strategy is
Which of the following best completes the passage?

a) A century-old paper manufacturer that adapts to the growing market for recycled papers by forming a committee to study ways in which it can effectively grow its business in this new market.

b) A diversified auto manufacturer that has historically led the market in sales of large trucks reacts to the recent increase in the market for fuel-efficient small cars by focusing on improving the fuel efficiency of its line of trucks in order to better compete with such smalled cars.

c) A diversified auto manufacturer that has historically led the market in sales of large trucks that consume significant amounts of fuel reacts to the recent increase in the market for fuel-efficient small cars by focusing on improving the look of its line of trucks.

d) A machine invented for use by auto manufacturers is now predominately used by airplane manufacturers as well as auto manufacturers.

e) A diversified auto manufacturer that has historically led the market in sales of large trucks reacts to the recent increase in the market for fuel-efficient small cars by minimizing production of large trucks and focusing on growing its business in the fuel-efficient small car market.

Community Manager
Followed by:24 members

by shovan85 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:17 am
IMO B

The passage says that the leading company in old business tries to hold back their top position and do not try to switch market. The options which are adapting or switching to new market can be discarded so A, D and E.

Out of B and C, C is improving the looks of the truck with respect to fuel-efficiency.

Hope Its correct

by saurabhmahajan » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:24 am
IMO : C

I see in C that the truck maker instead of reacting to minimizing consumption of fuel in its truck is busy improving looks of the truck...thus they are not responding to market change of fuel-efficient vehicles.
Thanks and regards,
Saurabh Mahajan

I can understand you not winning,but i will not forgive you for not trying.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by psychomath » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:51 am
B IMO.....I think the truck manufacturer tries to improve the truck sales and not concentrate on the entry into newer markets.....[/spoiler]

MBA Student
GMAT Score:700

by g000fy » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:45 am
I would go with C. The manufacturer is totally ignoring fuel efficiency and instead focusing on enhancing physical appeal of trucks.

by gmatrix » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:18 am
my pick C
A clear case of this inward-looking strategy is......
A diversified auto manufacturer that has historically led the market in sales of large trucks that consume significant amounts of fuel reacts to recent increase in the market for fuel-efficient small cars by focusing on improving the look of its line of trucks.

fuel efficiency neglected and looks prepped......
Life is all about ass; you're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, trying to get a piece of it, or behaving like one.

Legendary Member
GMAT Score:570

by reply2spg » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:48 am
IMO C is good here. I thought completely opposite while reading the question and went to B initially. But yes C is correct here
Sudhanshu
(have lot of things to learn from all of you)

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:660

by abhi.genx7 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:52 am
What is the official answer ?

Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:680

by hitmis » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:14 pm
People who chose "C" are right!