Part-time program in an out of state school

Launched January 9, 2010
This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:680
Hi -

I just got done with my GMAT, and I am looking to apply to UC-Berkeley and UCLA for part time MBA programs. I am currently an Arizona resident. My question is, what do ADCOMs think about out of state applicants who are interested in their part time programs?

Why only part time programs for me? I am in Corporate Finance, and would like to get an MBA in Finance only. Both of these schools offer really good programs and the state has plenty of opportunities specially in Finance. Since I am not looking for a career change, I believe part time MBA is a better fit for me.

My goal is to apply in Round 1, and get the decisions by February 2011, and start job hunting in the area thereafter.

I am just a little apprehensive about what the ADCOM may think about an out of state part-time applicant.

Please advise.

Thanks,
Pragya.
Being defeated is often only a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:6 members

by Scottie@VeritasPrep » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:29 am
Your desire to go to school part-time will not be seen as odd if you have a compelling reason for doing so. However, I am not sure that I understand the reason you're giving. Most students opt for part-time so that they can continue to work in their current jobs. It usually takes between 3-5 years to earn an MBA in a part-time program as compared to 2 years in a full-time program. If you plan to leave your current job then what is your reason for applying part-time?
Scottie Winslow | Admissions Consultant |
Veritas Prep

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:680

by beatthegmatinsept » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:05 am
Scottie@VeritasPrep wrote:Your desire to go to school part-time will not be seen as odd if you have a compelling reason for doing so. However, I am not sure that I understand the reason you're giving. Most students opt for part-time so that they can continue to work in their current jobs. It usually takes between 3-5 years to earn an MBA in a part-time program as compared to 2 years in a full-time program. If you plan to leave your current job then what is your reason for applying part-time?
I did some research last night, and have decided to apply at ASU for their accelerated part time MBA starting January. California top-ranked schools are a minimum of 3 year programs, and three time more expensive than ASU.
Not sure exactly how much difference it'll make getting an MBA from a Top 15 school or a Top 30 school.
Any thoughts?
Being defeated is often only a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent.