Best MBA/MPP-IR program

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:710

Best MBA/MPP-IR program

by tonytony » Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:14 am
If all goes well over the next two weeks, I will have the incredibly fortunate opportunity of choosing from the following fantastic schools: Harvard Business School, Wharton, MIT-Sloan (all interviewed, still waiting for response - very good feeling about HBS and Wharton), Harvard Kennedy School (still waiting), SAIS (admitted yesterday to Int'l Development program). I'm hoping a ding or two might make my choice a little easier to make, but hypothetically, I'd just like your take on which of these established joint MBA/MPP-IR programs you think would be the best (in no particular order):

HBS/HKS, Wharton/HKS, MIT-Sloan/HKS or Wharton/SAIS

Coming from a BA in political science, I am really looking for a background that is going to give me solid quant, give real relevance to the study of business and government, and allow for fantastic networking. I'm also more partial to a program that would allow me to shift between two universities (which steers me away from HBS/HKS only for that reason), but that's a minor turnoff from a fantastic program. I think my top choice would probably be HBS/SAIS, but don't think HBS would allow it.

Many thanks in advance!!!

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:17 members
GMAT Score:750

by Graham » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:05 am
Dear TonyTony,

Thanks for your post!

It's wonderful to hear that you've got a positive feeling about your forthcoming results in the admissions process at a few of the leading MBA and MPP programs (congrats on the SAIS admit, by the way!). While I can't give you a definitive answer on program selection here (since this is clearly a decision you will have to make on your own), I do have a few thoughts:

1) Much of your choice should actually hinge around what you hope to after graduating (and in the long-term). In other words, while each of the programs on your MBA and MPP lists are truly fantastic, some are stronger in specific areas than others. As such, you owe it to yourself to think carefully about your career plans and then investigate relevant coursework and networking opportunities at each school in your field of interest. You might also reach out to alumni from these programs who are working in your target field so as to get their take. Finally, some candidates go so far as to approach potential employers and ask their HR departments for their opinions on the various graduate programs and where they tend to hire, etc.

2) While it never hurts to ask, you are probably correct in your assumption that HBS will not alllow you to mix-and-match with another policy program. As such, your likely available choices will be HBS/HKS, Wharton/HKS, Wharton/SAIS or MIT/HKS.

3) If you are fortunate enough to have several offers of addmission, you should also have access to several 'admit weekend' type functions. You should attend each of them, if possible, and begin to get a sense of 'fit' issues.

4) At the end of the day, you may not be able to satisfy all of your criteria. For example, if you want a rock-solid quantitative underpinning to the MBA portion of your degree, you will likely be better served by Wharton and MIT Sloan's offerings. If "fantastic networking" is most important to you, then prgrams like HBS, Wharton and HKS will likely have a slight edge over programs like MIT Sloan and SAIS.

As you can see, there are a number of variables at play here. My advice is that you take the steps I've outlined to continue your investigation of each program's offerings and how they relate to your personal preferences ('fit' issues) and professional goals.

Best of luck with the results,

Graham
Graham Richmond
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]
215 568 2590

Stay Informed with Clear Admit!
Read our Blog for daily MBA admissions tips and updates.
Follow us on Twitter for breaking b-school news.
Download our Publications on MBA programs and admissions strategy.
Visit our MBA Admissions Wiki to read and share application insights.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by 2010 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:29 pm
i am curious to know how did this story ended!
where are you know?
are you happy about it?
how was the MIT/HKS process?

thanks thanks thanks

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:710

by tonytony » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:17 pm
Just finished my first year at SAIS. Now a first year at Wharton. Loving it. Great great choice.