Kaplan GMAT 2011- Inequality Question (If Sidney is Taller..

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Practice Test - Page 600, Question #2 (I checked the forum before posting and did not find a prior posting)

I am looking for some efficient way to approach this since the time can go by quite quickly while one is arriving at the right answer (E). This question is rather intriguing since it seems to combine a word problem with critical reasoning.

Here is the question:
If Sidney is taller than Roger, Roger is taller than Vernon, and Billy is taller than both Roger and Felix, then which of the following statements must be true?

(A) Felix is shorter than Roger.
(B) Sidney is taller than Billy.
(C) Roger is shorter than Felix.
(D) Sidney is taller than Felix.
(E) Billy is taller than Vernon.

Kaplan gives the correct response as E - and that is certainly clear - after one spends some time with the answer choices. However, Kaplan suggests making a "scratchwork chart" - but unless one can do this very efficiently - a good amount of time can slip away.

Thanks for any suggested strategies for efficient resolution.

Shelley

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by narik11 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:40 pm
edwardsmichele wrote:Practice Test - Page 600, Question #2 (I checked the forum before posting and did not find a prior posting)

I am looking for some efficient way to approach this since the time can go by quite quickly while one is arriving at the right answer (E). This question is rather intriguing since it seems to combine a word problem with critical reasoning.

Here is the question:
If Sidney is taller than Roger, Roger is taller than Vernon, and Billy is taller than both Roger and Felix, then which of the following statements must be true?

(A) Felix is shorter than Roger.
(B) Sidney is taller than Billy.
(C) Roger is shorter than Felix.
(D) Sidney is taller than Felix.
(E) Billy is taller than Vernon.

Kaplan gives the correct response as E - and that is certainly clear - after one spends some time with the answer choices. However, Kaplan suggests making a "scratchwork chart" - but unless one can do this very efficiently - a good amount of time can slip away.

Thanks for any suggested strategies for efficient resolution.

Shelley
From Question:

(i) S>R

(ii) R>V

(iii) B>(R & F)

So from (ii) B>V

=> B>(R,F,V) So option E is correct..

Hope this helps..
I am not aware of what scratch work chart Is. :(

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:640

by limestone » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:53 pm
Hi,
My approach is to write all the relationships down (take the first letter of all the names for short):
S>R
R>V
B>R
B>F
Then before coming to the answer choices, I shorten all the premises:
S>R>V
B>R
B>F

A. F<R, cannot be defined, B is taller than both R and F, however, there's no relationship between F and R.
B. S>B, cannot be defined too, both S and B are taller than R, however, there's still no relationship between S and B.
C. R<F, same as in A, cannot be defined - no relationship between F and R.
D. S>F, cannot be defined, as S is taller than R, however there's no relationship between F and R.
E. B>V, well, that's it. B>R and R>V as stated in the premises, then B>R>V. Correct

If you are familiar with this approach, you will need only less than 1 and a half minute to solve such a problem. ( Write down 15 seconds, think about choices 10 seconds/each)
"There is nothing either good or bad - but thinking makes it so" - Shakespeare.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:45 members
GMAT Score:760

by Jim@Grockit » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:15 pm
narik11 wrote:
I am not aware of what scratch work chart Is. :(
It's not a technical term. A diagram that you make of this information could, for example, look more like

......F
B >
S > R > V

You have to imagine that the "B >" is going with both F and R, unifying it into a single diagram (it would be clearer on scratch paper).

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by edwardsmichele » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:29 am
limestone wrote:Hi,
My approach is to write all the relationships down (take the first letter of all the names for short):
S>R
R>V
B>R
B>F
Then before coming to the answer choices, I shorten all the premises:
S>R>V
B>R
B>F

A. F<R, cannot be defined, B is taller than both R and F, however, there's no relationship between F and R.
B. S>B, cannot be defined too, both S and B are taller than R, however, there's still no relationship between S and B.
C. R<F, same as in A, cannot be defined - no relationship between F and R.
D. S>F, cannot be defined, as S is taller than R, however there's no relationship between F and R.
E. B>V, well, that's it. B>R and R>V as stated in the premises, then B>R>V. Correct

If you are familiar with this approach, you will need only less than 1 and a half minute to solve such a problem. ( Write down 15 seconds, think about choices 10 seconds/each)
Limestone,

Thank you for this beautiful, detailed response. It is most helpful. I also appreciate that you answered so quickly.

Shelley