an old CR

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:3 members

an old CR

by diebeatsthegmat » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:21 am
Advertisers are often criticized for their unscrupulous manipulation of people's tastes and wants. There is evidence, however, that some advertisers are motivated by moral as well as financial considerations. A particular
publication decided to change its image from being a family newspaper to concentration on GMAT and violence, thus appealing to a different readership. Some advertisers withdrew their advertisements from the publication, and this
must have been because they morally disapproved of publishing salacious material.

Which one of the following, if true, would most strengthen the argument?

(A) The advertisers switched their advertisements to other family newspapers.

(B) Some advertisers switched from family newspapers to advertise in the changed publication.

(C) The advertisers expected their product sales to increase if they stayed with the changed publication, but to decrease if
they withdrew.

(D) People who generally read family newspapers are not likely to buy newspapers that concentrate on GMAT and violence.

(E) It was expected that the changed publication would appeal principally to those in a different income group.

the answer is given C for this CR and i dont agree with it. i dont like this CR because its choices are not very nice but i chose A because i think C seems to weaken the argument.
the CR says " advertisers withdrew from magazine which changed its amage from family into sexual and violent concentration >>> (conclusion) advertisers cares of moral things or are motivated by moral....
doesnt C mean that advertiser wants their sales increase not to decrease this thats explain why they withdrew? doesnt mean that C gives another reason explaining why the advertiser withdrew? they withdrew just because they cant sales as much circulation as they did if the mazagine concentrate on GMAT and violence so in conclusion they care of money, and profits, not the moral things
am i right?

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by pradeepkaushal9518 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:14 am
i think here moral is the issue not financial.
though they knew that even if the changed publication will give them profit and they will loose if they withdraw.
even knowing this they withdraw because they morally disapproved of publishing salacious material.

so C strengthen the argument
A SMALL TOWN GUY

Legendary Member
Followed by:3 members

by diebeatsthegmat » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:15 am
pradeepkaushal9518 wrote:i think here moral is the issue not financial.
though they knew that even if the changed publication will give them profit and they will loose if they withdraw.
even knowing this they withdraw because they morally disapproved of publishing salacious material.

so C strengthen the argument
ehh hehe got it.... thanks

Community Manager
Followed by:27 members
GMAT Score:670

by arora007 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:11 am
Even I had picked A
But C is rightly right, it addresses the fact that for some moral reasons are ever more important than financial reasons...
https://www.skiponemeal.org/
https://twitter.com/skiponemeal
Few things are impossible to diligence & skill.Great works are performed not by strength,but by perseverance

pm me if you find junk/spam/abusive language, Lets keep our community clean!!