Importance Of Work Experience

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:710

Importance Of Work Experience

by kidchaos » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:36 am
I graduated with a first class agg of 64.7% in Elex & Telecom Engg in June 2010

In College I was the Chief editor for the Magazine in my final year and the Financial manager the year before. I was also the Creative head of the college IEEE branch and have designed all the publicity material for the Intercollege festival and all events held year round. I have very good extracurriculars throughout school and College.

I am currently working as a Resource Mobilization Co-ordinator for an NGO called Operation Smile India.

My Job entails Marketing & Donor Relations for the org and I basically handle it alone with help from a consultant who comes in a couple of times a week. I am in the process of designing the PR material for the organisation and working on a couple of new Fundraising ideas with the consultant.

I get to go on all their Medical Missions (almost 1 every alternate mth) conducted all over India in Rural areas where they perform free Cleft Lip and Cleft Palate or Burns surgeries for young children. On these missions my role is different as per the requirement for eg. when we have donors coming to volunteer or observe the mission then it is Donor relations but otherwise it varies from Medical Records to Translation (since the doctors and nurses come from Abroad).

I plan to pursue an MBA in Marketing and specialize in PR & Brand management. I will have 1 yr work ex at matriculation.

I plan to give my GMAT end of nxt mth & apply in R2. I am looking for advice on which schools are the best for Marketing, Brand Management & PR. I have Identified UCLA, Chicago GSB & NYU Stern and would like to know of some other schools.

Also does 1 yr of work experience at my current organization gives me a chance as an Early Career student in schools like UCLA & Chicago GSB if I get a good GMAT score?

Any feedback would be very helpful.

Legendary Member
Followed by:90 members

by Tani » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:42 am
If I read your letter correctly, you have only been working for a month or so. That will hurt your application even though your work experience is fascinating and unusual. You certainly would qualify as an "early career" applicant.

For brand management, Indiana University (Kelley) has a terrific program including close relationships with top product management companies through which they offer both great internships and post-graduation employment. Northwestern has an outstanding reputation for marketing. One approach is to identify a couple of dream employers and see if you can find out where they interview and hire. Many schools will tell you who interviews on campus and where their graduates are employed. Most of the recognized ratings services also rank schools by specialty so you can check out those with strong marketing reputations that way.

Much will depend on your GMAT. To be competitive at the schools you mention you should target a 700+ score, particularly since you will be applying with little work background.

Good luck,
Tani Wolff

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:710

by kidchaos » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:23 pm
Hi Tani

Thanks for your reply. I have actually been working for the past 3 months now and have already been on a medical mission last month. Thanks for the suggestions will definitely look into the schools you have suggested.

I will be attending The MBAtour event in my city in a couple of days and I'm sure I will get some more insight from there.