Gas consumption

This topic has expert replies
Site Admin
Followed by:550 members
GMAT Score:770

Gas consumption

by DanaJ » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:57 am
By measuring the electricity consumption of several households, a utility company learns that families waste less electricity the more synchronized their schedule. The more synchronized a household's schedule, however, the greater its natural gas consumption.

Which of the following can be reasonably inferred from the statements above?

A. The less synchronized a household's schedule, the more water the household likely wastes.

B. The less synchronized a household's schedule, the smaller the proportion of its natural gas consumption on its energy bill.

C. The less synchronized a household's schedule, the more electricity it tends to conserve.

D. The more gas a household consumes, the more gas it wastes.

E. More and more households are using a higher percentage of electricity.
Last edited by DanaJ on Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by gmatrix » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:42 am
hmmm.......a mindbender
i would pick B out of my shortlist of B and E

more synchronized......waste less electricity....greater natural gas consumption. Hence less synchronized a household's schedule....smaller should be the proportion of its natural gas consumption.............

btw............
families waste less electricity the more synchronized its schedule
should't it read........families that waste less electricity the more synchronized is their schedule
Life is all about ass; you're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, trying to get a piece of it, or behaving like one.

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:710

by gmatmachoman » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:45 am
nice catch man...

families---their !!!

MBA Student
GMAT Score:700

by g000fy » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:15 am
What's the OA? I pick B as well

Site Admin
Followed by:550 members
GMAT Score:770

by DanaJ » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:47 am
The OA is B indeed. To me it makes 100% sense that B would be correct. However, I'm having a hard time explaining this with contrapositives. Can anyone help?

Legendary Member
GMAT Score:570

by reply2spg » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:09 am
This is similar to one CR, which I did before doing this. Here it is,

https://www.beatthegmat.com/tricky-cr-t59708.html

let's analyze

Passage gives us information as follows, below are the terms which I am going to use.

ms - more synchronized
| - less
^ - more
el - electricity
w - waste
ng - natural gas
c - consumption
ls - less synchronized

As per the passage,

ms w | el --- statement (1)
ms ^ ng c ---- statement (2)

We have only this information with us.
DanaJ wrote:By measuring the electricity consumption of several households, a utility company learns that families waste less electricity the more synchronized their schedule. The more synchronized a household's schedule, however, the greater its natural gas consumption.

Which of the following can be reasonably inferred from the statements above?

A. The less synchronized a household's schedule, the more water the household likely wastes. - We don't know anything about water, eliminate

B. The less synchronized a household's schedule, the smaller the proportion of its natural gas consumption on its energy bill. - Hold on

C. The less synchronized a household's schedule, the more electricity it tends to conserve. - ls ^ el conserve - we don't know how and who conserve more electricity, we only know statement 1 above. We can not infer this statement, eliminate

D. The more gas a household consumes, the more gas it wastes. - this is generalized statement. we don't know what household does. We know only about more synchronized households. we can not infer this, eliminate

E. More and more households are using a higher percentage of electricity. - Same as D
Remaining B only. I have an assumption that natural gas is constant. Since ms consume more natural gas. less gas is available for ls to consume. So, ls consume less natural gas.

Hope this will make sense
Sudhanshu
(have lot of things to learn from all of you)