31 Days, 2 Exams, 1 Score Report - 117/120

You just Beat The TOEFL/IELTS/Cambridge/PTE!
This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:660

31 Days, 2 Exams, 1 Score Report - 117/120

by vivek1110 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:42 pm
I just got my score report today, and I'm more relieved that I actually got a score report!

So this was my 2nd attempt at the TOEFL; the first one did not render a score report!

I took my second exam (the free rescheduled exam) in Chennai, and was hoping for a much better experience. I reached the exam center a good hour before the exam. I entered filled all the forms and waited for them to start taking people for the ID check and stuff. Ten minutes minutes later, like the sun had suddenly dropped out of the sky, I was plunged into a sea of darkness, it was a power cut! So we walked out and talked to the admin, he reassured us that there's a generator, but there's a catch - The guy who's supposed to turn on the generator was asleep at home! So we waited and waited, the exam time was scheduled at 10:00am, it was close to 10:45am with still no sign of sleeping beauty. And then finally through the ashes, like a warrior riding through to save the day, he came and switched on the generator! Power was up and we were good to go.

The usual cycle of a photo and ID check started, and I eventually started my exam at 11:30. I started off on the reading session, the essays were not too convoluted, I breezed through most of it. For the reading section I followed a strategy that I would not read the entire passage first, but rather, take the questions as it comes and then delve into the passage. I got about 4 passages, and I didn't find it too hard. I moved on to the listening section, again it started off with the usual conversations followed by lectures; I found this to be quite long, I think I got about 4 sets, each set having one conversation and two lectures. It was actually quite hard to concentrate through all of this, anyway I held it together and got through it. I went for my 10 minute break, got back just in time for my third section.

The section starts off with the usual Microphone check, it failed the first time. I did it again, failed again, at this point of time I was having flashes from my previous experience in my head, I just cannot do this again! I called the admin, he tried a couple of times and did not work. And then, out of nowhere the computer just switched off, and I felt like I would cry and shoot the admin in front of me, and maybe shoot everyone else in the room too. The admin seemed pretty cool about it, he just asked me to switch to a new computer, and well the exam took off right where I left it, I was so relieved. I got through the speaking section pretty well, I managed to time myself well and talk coherently. I moved to the writing section, my favorite section! It wasn't too bad, my first essay was based on an argument, it was fairly simple. I was just worried that I had written too much, they had specified that 150-220 words would constitute an effective response. When I was done, I had close to 450 words. I eventually didn't have time to go through to check for spellings. I wasn't really satisfied with my response, but at this point I couldn't care less, I just wanted this to be over and done with. My second essay was a little more organised and better written. And it was finally over!

Though it was over, I still had the lingering fear in my head that like last time I could still end up without a score!
But, this morning I woke up with an email form ETS, and I was so happy that I actually did a dance, and this was just for the fact that I got a score!

The report says

Reading - 30
Listening- 29
Speaking- 29
Writing - 29

Total - 117

It was definitely worth all the effort! :D
Is caught between a rock and a hard place!

Community Manager
Followed by:252 members

by papgust » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:01 pm
You rocked the test indeed! Congratulations
Download GMAT Math and CR questions with Solutions from Instructors and High-scorers:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/download-gma ... 59366.html

-----------

GO GREEN..! GO VEG..!

Daily Quote:
"Stop feeling sorry for the Butcher if you had to go Veg. The butcher can find another job but the poor animal cannot get back its life"

Site Admin
Followed by:550 members
GMAT Score:770

by DanaJ » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:55 am
Wow, congrats! Awesome score!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by TIMA » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:45 am
Congrats .. That's really a great score ..

Can u tell us about your study plan ???

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:660

by vivek1110 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:45 am
TIMA wrote:Congrats .. That's really a great score ..

Can u tell us about your study plan ???
Thanks TIMA.

About the study plan. Well I just bought the Kaplan TOEFL prep book, it's a pretty good book and has some great tips, especially if you're a non native speaker. I went through the book and just got a feel of the question types; I didn't need much practice because I've been speaking english virtually all my life. I just got the book to get a feel of the question types and for the practice tests.

Make sure you know how to attempt all the question types, the summary questions on the reading section can be a little tricky. And more importantly, make sure you do the practice tests under testing conditions. Let me know if you have a specific question.
Is caught between a rock and a hard place!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by TIMA » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:33 am
Thank you very much vivek1110 for your answer ...

I'm a non native speaker and took the TOEFL PBT and got 589 .. I was very intimidated by the IBT at that time but I've decide it to take it now cause some school require the IBT ....

I'll start studying TOEFL after taking the GMAT .. I'll start with Kaplan as you mentioned then the Official Guide ..

Thanks again for your advice .....