Profile Evaluation - kindly reply :)

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile Evaluation - kindly reply :)

by jayjz45 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:52 am
Hello there:

I've just finished the GMAT exam and now I am in the essay portion of the application process.
I would like to know how my chances are based on my numerical stats to the following schools with a focus on Marketing:

1) Cornell University
2) Notre Dame
3) Indiana University
4) Boston University
5) Purdue University
6) Babson

In regards to my profile:

Asian Male
3 years of work exp. (Including running my own company)
GMAT: 700 Q:49 V: 35
GPA: 2.71 (ouch) management major from top school in Mid West
Rich extra curricular activities

Thank you in advance~

Legendary Member
Followed by:90 members

by Tani » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:00 pm
Your GMAT score will be helpful, but your GPA will need some explaining. The schools you are looking at have average GPAs above 3.00. IF you started slowly and improved your GPA significantly so that you had a respectable average your last two years that would help, but overall it does put you at a disadvantage. The good news is that several of the schools you are considering take 40% or more of their applicants. With excellent recommendations and a strong work profile you may be able to overcome the GPA.

I am not sure how your work experience will stack up. If your own company was wildly successful, you can position yourself as a entrepreneur. That could be particularly helpful at Babson which is highly entrepreneurship-oriented. If your own company never went far and you only have a year or two at a going concern, that will make you less attractive to the schools.

Your essays and recommendations - including how you handle issues such as the GPA and possibly your work experience will make the difference. You will need to sparkle to catch the admission staff's eyes.

Good luck,
Tani Wolff

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by jayjz45 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:15 pm
Thank you for the reply. I will take your words in strong consideration.

As far as my company, I wouldn't call it "wildly successful". We did manage to pull in 200,000+ revenue in each of the previous two years. I am going for an MBA because 1) to increase my credibility as an owner and 2) lower financial risks through more effective decision making as more investments will be made to further growth.

I also do have full time working exp. outside of my company, but only as an account manager for a respectable company.

I'm not entirely sure how to address my weak GPA. My first two years were relatively weak, my third year spike up and my last year dropped because I started working on my company full time. In retrospect, that was not the wisest choice, but what is done is done.

If you have any more suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it

Thank you once again.

Legendary Member
Followed by:90 members

by Tani » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:40 pm
Your strongest suit is your entrepreneurial experience. You need to be prepared to tell that story clearly and persuasively. Your GPA is there and can't be changed. Focus on those aspects of your experience that will make you a great contributor in the classroom.

Good luck,
Tani Wolff