My H Experience

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:3 members

My H Experience

by Gurpinder » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:22 pm
You guys are probably wondering what "H" stands for in the title of this post, well "Horrible".

Just took the GMAT today (Sept 21, 2010).

Got a 590. 37Q,35V

Reflections about the test:

Wow, I dont really know what to say other than this sucks!

There were alot of word problems such as age, mixture, speed, rate. Focus on these problems types. Make sure you know your algebra inside out to help you formulate equations on the go to answer these questions. Strong algebra skill is very important on these question types.

I had 2 probability questions. They were easy. One was about a dice and one was about a bag of marbles. The typical stuff; I am sure anyone can get those right!

There were also few (5-7) number properties questions. And other typical number properties questions dealing with positive, negative, fractions, etc. Just know your rules and you should be fine!

Know your geometry as well. I think I had about 5 questions that dealt with x-plane and triangles. I guess if not everything, make sure you know the formulas for area, perimeter, circumference, etc. The basic stuff!

Other than that, there were some general VIC problems. I have 2 tips for you guys for these questions:
(1) If the answer choices also have variables in it, PLUG-IN NUMBERS and get a target value! Don't spend your precious time guessing numbers.
(2) If the questions asks for the value of X, PLUG-IN the answer choices for x and see which one works out.

These two tips will help you go through majority of the VIC problems.

In terms of verbal, I don't really know what to say! Know your Idioms. Know the rules. There cant really be surprises if you know the rules.

I didn't get a single science passage for RC. They were history/sociology passages; which I am used to as my undergrad degree is in Law.

For CR, I think I had 2 strengthen, 2 weaken, 1 Bold and maybe 2 inference questions. So just practice them! Practice your technique of approaching them! This is the best way you can prepare for them. And don't practice the approach in your head, DO IT!!!!

From what I can recall, I think I had fewer SC than CR.

Maybe about 8-10 SC
4 - RC (one of them was 4 huge paragraphs)
10-12 CR

Difficulty level of the questions:

The difficulty of the questions were similar to the questions from the GmatPrep Test!

In terms of OG, I would say if you have the time DO ALL the questions. The reason for this is

(1) You get to work on your areas where you make silly mistakes like 6*3=16. Its 18!
(2) You can never replicate the actual test. Therefore I think the best preparation is to familiarize yourself and practice against all the different types of questions the GMAT can through at you or has thrown at others (OG - they are retired questions).

However, if you absolutely cannot do ALL the questions, the difficulty of the GMAT questions would match the last 50% of the questions from OG for Quant and SC Verbal. CR and RC are pretty much the same. There is really no trick if you know the types of CR questions. RC is just straightforward. Read the newspaper. It helps not only to update yourself with whats happening around you but you can also use these "news" stories to aid your essay's in the AWA section.

Reflection on practice exams:

So far, GMATPREP has the best accuracy.

I have used Princeton tests. They are merely good for pacing rather than testing. Princeton places too much emphasis on their first 10 questions. That is not how the GMAT works, I think!

MGMAT tests are harder in quant. However, its a good practice to practice fighting against the clock, while you can:P.

My Next Step:

I am sure no one is interested in reading this, but I will attempt the GMAT again!

As someone once said, "There is a first time and a next time. This; next time."

Being a strong god believer, I am sure he has something sizzling planned for me. So no worries, I'll just try again. =) =)

I'll keep this post updated with the progress/failures.

Even though things didn't go well, I would like to thank some of the best members and wonderful people on this forum who have been a great help: reply2spg, uwhusky, selango, beatthegmatinsept, debmalya_dutta, gmatmachoman, missrochelle. Sorry if I missed anybody!

Also, thanks to all experts! You are all awesome!

____

By the way, if anyone has any questions, I'll be glad to answer! Just post or PM =)
Last edited by Gurpinder on Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:04 am, edited 6 times in total.
"Do not confuse motion and progress. A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress."
- Alfred A. Montapert, Philosopher.

Legendary Member
Followed by:4 members

by uwhusky » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:30 pm
Look on the bright side, you got 35 in verbal! That's a pretty good score to build from, and now that you have seen the actual GMAT, I am sure you'll be more prepared next time around!
Yep.

Legendary Member
GMAT Score:570

by reply2spg » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:39 pm
Felt bad to hear your score and it is surprising that you got less score in Maths. Surely you can do well in your next attempt. Maths is kinda doable thing, so don't worry about maths. As uwhusky said see the bright side that you got 35 in verbal. WOW!!!!

I am dying to see 35 on my test day. Anyways let me know if you need any help in maths. Will be more than happy to help you.

Don't get disappointed, have a blast and chill, there is always next time :)
Last edited by reply2spg on Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sudhanshu
(have lot of things to learn from all of you)

Legendary Member
Followed by:7 members

by selango » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:58 pm
Hey gurpinder 35 in verbal is really a great score.If you do well in Quant,you can definitely cross 700 barrier.

Since Quant is ur weak side,concentrate more on Quant in ur next study plan.

Now take a break and come back again.You ll make it in next attempt!!
--Anand--

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:710

by gmatmachoman » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:03 pm
Hey Gurpinder,

We really appreciate your dedication/contribution that you showed towards your peer group.

Ur Verbal score is good. So u need to push on Quant.. All the best!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:710

by debmalya_dutta » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:05 pm
Hey Gurpinder....
Like you already mentioned..Pick up the good stuff from this experience and move on to the next phase - re-attempt ... 35 on Verbal is good... Improving on maths is an easier task than improving on verbal because they are only a certain number of principles that are tested and I think you can improve on Math at an accelerated pace rather than on the Verbal....

Best of luck..Keep us posted ... Let me know if I can extend any help ....
@Deb

Legendary Member
Followed by:7 members

by kvcpk » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:23 pm
Everyone above me copied my thoughts. :) I dont mind restating that 35 in Verbal is commendable. With some insight into Quant problems, you are bound to beat 700. I would just say ALL THE BEST. You have been great at the forum.
"Once you start working on something,
don't be afraid of failure and don't abandon it.
People who work sincerely are the happiest."
Chanakya quotes (Indian politician, strategist and writer, 350 BC-275BC)

Legendary Member

by adi_800 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:03 am
35 in verbal....Too good...
if you can manage 35 in verbal.... N push quant from 37 to 47...you would be on your way to 650+...for sure..
Just take a break and come back stronger....

This test is beatable!!

Legendary Member

by adi_800 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:58 am
Btw..any idea how many SC n RC qs you got....
It seems that CR wudnt have been more than 11..
Pls confirm!!

Legendary Member

by Gurpinder » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:03 am
@ uwhusky, Sudhanshu, selango, gmatmachoman, Deb, kvcpk, adi_800

Thanks for the well wishes everybody! You are all very encouraging. =)

Can you guys suggest how I should improve my quant. I have gone through all the mgmat books. I have completed about 50% of the OG.

@ adi_800

Maybe about 8-10 SC
10-12 CR
"Do not confuse motion and progress. A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress."

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:680

by beatthegmatinsept » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:07 am
Gurpinder wrote:@ uwhusky, Sudhanshu, selango, gmatmachoman, Deb, kvcpk, adi_800

Maybe about 8-10 SC
10-12 CR
That's interesting.. In the GMAT Prep Tests I have usually gotten the most SC's, followed by equal number of RC's and CR's. On the RC's, I understand one of the RC's were 4 paragraphs long, what about the other 3? Were there any that were only 2 paragraphs long? The reason I ask is because in the GMAT Prep test I took yday, I got 2 RC's that were only 2 paragraphs long, which was quite surprising. Wonder if that can actually happen on the real test..
Being defeated is often only a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent.

Legendary Member

by Gurpinder » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:19 am
beatthegmatinsept wrote:
Gurpinder wrote:@ uwhusky, Sudhanshu, selango, gmatmachoman, Deb, kvcpk, adi_800

Maybe about 8-10 SC
10-12 CR
That's interesting.. In the GMAT Prep Tests I have usually gotten the most SC's, followed by equal number of RC's and CR's. On the RC's, I understand one of the RC's were 4 paragraphs long, what about the other 3? Were there any that were only 2 paragraphs long? The reason I ask is because in the GMAT Prep test I took yday, I got 2 RC's that were only 2 paragraphs long, which was quite surprising. Wonder if that can actually happen on the real test..
There were 2 RC's with 2 paragraphs, 1 with 3 and 1 with 4 in this order too.

Community Manager
Followed by:27 members
GMAT Score:670

by arora007 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:57 am
Gurpinder firstly let me congratulate you for your good score in verbal section!! Truly commendable!!

secondly I would say.....dont take a break... keep working on your Math section,

Try more math
https://www.khanacademy.org/gmat
https://www.gmatmaths.com/oqa/
and tonnes of stuff like the below on various forums
https://gmatclub.com/forum/50-tricky-que ... 92834.html
https://gmatclub.com/forum/combined-prob ... 87294.html
https://gmatclub.com/forum/tough-quantit ... 93278.html

be sure that you are clear on your fundamentals. Also make a neat, pen and paper note of all questions you falter on, Also any new concepts you learn.

Chak de fatte!!
https://www.skiponemeal.org/
https://twitter.com/skiponemeal
Few things are impossible to diligence & skill.Great works are performed not by strength,but by perseverance

pm me if you find junk/spam/abusive language, Lets keep our community clean!!

Legendary Member
Followed by:4 members

by uwhusky » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:26 am
Practice, practice, practice!

I strongly recommend these sources: www.gmathacks.com and grockit.com.

Both sources helped me to improve and practice on various math concepts. Also keep in mind, 37 is relative low (being quite frank), so do focus on the fundamentals and some of the medium level questions before moving into the "advance" sections. As matter of fact, I recommend you to not even worry about the latter portion of OG questions, or the advance section of MGMAT quant books, until you are "completely" comfortable with the earlier ones. If you want to be critical, I would say 98% accuracy or better in the earlier portion before you should consider yourself as ready for the more challenging portion.
Yep.

Community Manager
Followed by:27 members
GMAT Score:670

by arora007 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:48 am
uwhusky wrote:Practice, practice, practice!

I strongly recommend these sources: www.gmathacks.com and grockit.com.

Both sources helped me to improve and practice on various math concepts. Also keep in mind, 37 is relative low (being quite frank), so do focus on the fundamentals and some of the medium level questions before moving into the "advance" sections. As matter of fact, I recommend you to not even worry about the latter portion of OG questions, or the advance section of MGMAT quant books, until you are "completely" comfortable with the earlier ones. If you want to be critical, I would say 98% accuracy or better in the earlier portion before you should consider yourself as ready for the more challenging portion.
uwhusky is right, you need to be "completely" comfortable with the easier questions to go to a level of greater difficulty.

GMAT penalizes more for getting easier questions wrong than getting hard questions wrong...

Never bring yourself to such a situation where you are having little time for the questions in the end... as the questions will get easier after each subsequent mistake, and u will commit a crime not to capitalize on the easier questions.
https://www.skiponemeal.org/
https://twitter.com/skiponemeal
Few things are impossible to diligence & skill.Great works are performed not by strength,but by perseverance

pm me if you find junk/spam/abusive language, Lets keep our community clean!!