Unpopular Decision...never made any...!!!

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Unpopular Decision...never made any...!!!

by ECLS » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:34 pm
1) "Discuss a time when you made an unpopular decision. What did you learn from the experience? "

What should one write in this ques if one has not made an unpopular decision.?

2) "Please describe a time when you came to see something from someone else's perspective, or when your opinion was changed by listening and learning from others."

I am assuming this has to be a professional situation and not an example of a personal situation. Any examples/tips on the above ques would help.

Thx.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by armyoftim » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:56 pm
You're going to have to dig deep - surely you've made an unpopular decision before. Anyone who makes decisions will make one that is unpopular with at least a small group. If you absolutely can't think of one, I would write about how you have avoided making unpopular decisions - maybe parlay that essay into a best-selling business book! Seriously, dig deep. If you're a leader, then you've made some unpopular decisions.

On the second, I don't think it needs to be a professional situation. It could be academic, or extra-cirricular. The important thing is to understand what quality the adcom is trying to get you to write about. Are you truly a team player and do you truly value the input of people on your team? If so, write about being convinced/influenced by a team member on a project. Or you could write about a professor who changed the way you looked at an issue. Just figure out in broad strokes what the adcom is trying to elicit, and dig deep to convey a personal example.

If you still think you've never made a meaningful unpopular decision - you need to start compiling experiences that necessitate tough decisions.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by ECLS » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:10 pm
armyoftim wrote:You're going to have to dig deep - surely you've made an unpopular decision before. Anyone who makes decisions will make one that is unpopular with at least a small group. If you absolutely can't think of one, I would write about how you have avoided making unpopular decisions - maybe parlay that essay into a best-selling business book! Seriously, dig deep. If you're a leader, then you've made some unpopular decisions.

On the second, I don't think it needs to be a professional situation. It could be academic, or extra-cirricular. The important thing is to understand what quality the adcom is trying to get you to write about. Are you truly a team player and do you truly value the input of people on your team? If so, write about being convinced/influenced by a team member on a project. Or you could write about a professor who changed the way you looked at an issue. Just figure out in broad strokes what the adcom is trying to elicit, and dig deep to convey a personal example.

If you still think you've never made a meaningful unpopular decision - you need to start compiling experiences that necessitate tough decisions.
Thanks..this makes sense...!!