Derderia economy is a killer economy!

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:3 members

Derderia economy is a killer economy!

by ssgmatter » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:12 am
With a record number of new companies starting up in Derderia and with previously
established companies adding many jobs, a record number of new jobs were created
last year in the Derderian economy. This year, previously established companies will
not be adding as many new jobs overall as such companies added last year. Therefore,
unless a record number of companies start up this year, Derderia will not break its
record for new jobs created.
Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument relies?
A. Each year, new companies starting up create more new jobs overall than do
previously established companies.
B. Companies established last year will not add a greater number of jobs overall
this year than they did last year.
C. This year, the new companies starting up will not provide substantially more
jobs per company than did new companies last year.
D. This year, the overall number of jobs created by previously established
companies will be less than the overall number of jobs lost at those companies.
E. The number of jobs created in the Derderian economy last year was
substantially larger than the number of jobs lost last year.

Please explain options A,B and C

i understand that d and e are out as they talk about the number of jobs lost

also as per my analysis b is restating the fact from the argument
Best-
Amit

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:760

by mj78ind » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:38 am
So the tussle is between C and A. B I agree is a restatement.

We can negate C and the argument falls apart.

However A is nebulous territory, can not fully apply the negation test but if I go to the basics ...........Assumption is an unstated premise and plug A in so that it supports the argument, I see that the argument may or may not hold. For example if last year 45 Jobs created by start ups and 35 by old cos, this year old cos provide 25 and start ups 27 and let us assume that more start ups opened (thus average of jobs provided by start ups declined), the argument still does not hold or get supported.

Thus I would go with C, which clearly undermines the argument if negated.

What is the OA?

by vishalj » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:28 am
Last year - Group A ( Previously established companies) + Group B (New Companies)

Both Group A and Group B contributed to a record number of new jobs.

This year - Group A ( Previously established companies) + Group B (Last year New Companies) + Group C ( New companies)

(Note : This year, we can't assume that last year newly added companies will become previously established companies)

Now, per stmt, "previously established companies will not be adding as many new jobs overall as such companies added last year" --> So the best possible scenario is that Group A creates same number of jobs or less.

Per stmt, "unless a record number of companies start up this year" --> So to break last year record, Group C needs to add more jobs overall.

Hence, we can expect some assumption about Group B. Answer choice B states that. In negation testing, " Companies established last year will add a greater number of jobs overall this year than did last year". If this is true, then the conclusion falss apart since we no longer need record number of new companies created this year to create job.

IMO B

Legendary Member
GMAT Score:570

by reply2spg » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:45 am
IMO B. When I prephrased answer, I was looking for something like option B.
Sudhanshu
(have lot of things to learn from all of you)

Legendary Member

by goyalsau » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:18 am
vishalj wrote:Last year - Group A ( Previously established companies) + Group B (New Companies)

Both Group A and Group B contributed to a record number of new jobs.

This year - Group A ( Previously established companies) + Group B (Last year New Companies) + Group C ( New companies)

(Note : This year, we can't assume that last year newly added companies will become previously established companies)

Now, per stmt, "previously established companies will not be adding as many new jobs overall as such companies added last year" --> So the best possible scenario is that Group A creates same number of jobs or less.

Per stmt, "unless a record number of companies start up this year" --> So to break last year record, Group C needs to add more jobs overall.

Hence, we can expect some assumption about Group B. Answer choice B states that. In negation testing, " Companies established last year will add a greater number of jobs overall this year than did last year". If this is true, then the conclusion falss apart since we no longer need record number of new companies created this year to create job.

IMO B
Nice explanation ,
crucial point is

But what is the official answer????????????

Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:760

by mj78ind » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:28 am
ok it is official :) the answer is C

Got it from Phil (pm)

Thanks Phil

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by anantbhatia » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:58 am
not satisfied with C.

Unless a record number of new companies open.... derdaria will not break ...

or

if a record number open... derdaria will break..

then the assumption would have been-
the new companies will create more jobs than they did last year

The option given is that they will not. Which is actually weakening the argument. I still stick with B.

Please tell me why the above reasoning is incorrect.

Followed by:1 members

by ov25 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:40 pm
suspicious OA... imo B

Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:680

by hitmis » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:00 pm
ssgmatter wrote:With a record number of new companies starting up in Derderia and with previously
established companies adding many jobs, a record number of new jobs were created
last year in the Derderian economy. This year, previously established companies will
not be adding as many new jobs overall as such companies added last year. Therefore,
unless a record number of companies start up this year, Derderia will not break its
record for new jobs created.
Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument relies?
A. Each year, new companies starting up create more new jobs overall than do
previously established companies.
B. Companies established last year will not add a greater number of jobs overall
this year than they did last year.
C. This year, the new companies starting up will not provide substantially more
jobs per company than did new companies last year.
D. This year, the overall number of jobs created by previously established
companies will be less than the overall number of jobs lost at those companies.
E. The number of jobs created in the Derderian economy last year was
substantially larger than the number of jobs lost last year.

Please explain options A,B and C

i understand that d and e are out as they talk about the number of jobs lost

also as per my analysis b is restating the fact from the argument
imo

Stimulus says that (i) Established companies will NOT be adding as many jobs as last year (=deficit) (ii) Expects record number of startups to cover deficit plus add high number of jobs to the overall job numbers this year.
Conclusion is that deficit will not be covered and the country D will not have a record number of jobs created.

A - If New co.s create more jobs than established co.s every year, then maybe they can cover the deficit and create a record number. So this would negate the stimulus's argument.
B - is a restatement of "previously established companies will not be adding as many new jobs overall as such companies added last year". Words are just moved around.
C - "will not provide ". This assumption assures that deficit will not be covered by newer companies creating more jobs than new companies of last year. Hence the right assumption supporting the conclusion.