Finance VS Marketing VS Non-Profit VS.....

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi

I am in a dilema and am sure other went through this also. I come from a non-business background (commonly referred to Computer Sciences/engineering combination). I have enough experience working in various segments of this field and am looking into Business schools. My questions are:

1) I have started preparing for GMAT - plan to take in FEB - is it a good idea to apply as 3rd or 4th round candidate or go for early round/First round next year?

2) Which spealization should one go for - this relates to WHY MBA ? I can go on give many reason why I feel I need but the biggest is career change and advancement. So keepig this in mind - how do i anser why mba and also which segment of MBA (Finace/Marketing/Sales/Non-prodit/IT Management etc) - since i was never seriously exposed to any of these - how do i answer this question..or how does one find out what about each field?

3) which schools are good in which department etc. - I am getting links to overall ranking but not for each segment.

Thanks

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:19 pm
To address your first two questions:

1) You should apply whenever you feel ready to apply, and when you think you can produce a very strong application. 3rd round tends to be more competitive than the earlier rounds, but if you think you can produce a great application for the 3rd round then I think you should go for it.

2) I think you need to first ask yourself what you would want to do. Granted you don't have a deep knowledge on all of these specializations, but I'm sure you have a sense of what each area entails. I would do some soul searching first to get a general sense of your interests and then proceed to writing an application around those interests.
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school