rules intended to ensure- GMAT Prep2

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:560

rules intended to ensure- GMAT Prep2

by alivapriyada » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:18 am
The state has proposed new rules that would set minimum staffing levels for nurses,rules intended to ensure that at least one nurse is assigned for every four patients put through triage in a hospital emergency room.

A. rules intended to ensure that at least one nurse is assigned for every four patients put through triage in a hospital emergency room

B. rules with the intent of ensuring one nurse at least to be assigned for every four patients to be put through triage in a hospital emergency room.

C. rules intending to ensure at least one nurse is assigned for every four patients in a hospital emergency room put through triage.

D.with the intent of ensuring that at least one nurse should be assigned for every four patients in a hospital emergency room that are put through triage.

E. and this is intended to ensure one nurse at least to be assigned for every four patients put through triage in a hospital emergency room.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:730

by watchout4me » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:43 am
IMO A.

B - 'one nurse at least to be assigned' is incorrect.

C - ' ensure at least' should have been 'ensure that at least'

D - 'ensuring that at least one nurse should be assigned' is incorrect. using both 'ensuring that' and 'should be' results in an awkward sounding phrase.

E - 'one nurse at least' is incorrect.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by neerajbansal » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:13 am
The state has proposed new rules that would set minimum staffing levels for nurses,rules intended to ensure that at least one nurse is assigned for every four patients put through triage in a hospital emergency room.

A. rules intended to ensure that at least one nurse is assigned for every four patients put through triage in a hospital emergency room

B. rules with the intent of ensuring one nurse at least to be assigned for every four patients to be put through triage in a hospital emergency room.

C. rules intending to ensure at least one nurse is assigned for every four patients in a hospital emergency room put through triage.

D.with the intent of ensuring that at least one nurse should be assigned for every four patients in a hospital emergency room that are put through triage.

E. and this is intended to ensure one nurse at least to be assigned for every four patients put through triage in a hospital emergency room.

First split is one nurse at least ---which takes out B and E

C --> rules intending to should rules intended for --also this keeps the tense of the sentence same ( proposed new rules ) --- rules are not intending to do anything. rules don't have intentions

Between A and D

D.with the intent of ensuring that at least one nurse should be assigned for every four patients in a hospital emergency room that are put through triage. --->

Should be with the intent to ensure .....Also I see that the construction of the sentence is weird... " that are put through triage." refers to what ---> hospital rooms Or Patients... For patients, if Who was used then I would have considered this choice...

A --> Looks to me as the best choice...I am excited to see the official Answer. Please share !

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:560

by alivapriyada » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:56 am
OA is A